Home General Discussion

Need a 5th category for Review

zombiexm
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
zombiexm polycounter lvl 3
Hello all.
I am about to hit final review in a week , and since my school does not have a review sheet for a level design or environmental artist , I have to submit one for approval.

This is what I have so far, and was wondering if anyone can help me with making a 5th category for it?
LSIJVBx.jpg

Thank you guys for your time
Zombie

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    You might want to add something in there about modularity/versatility/efficiency.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Communication?
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Modeling doesn`t seem to be included in any category. Obviously, things like modularity/versatility/efficiency would be included, like M4dcow mentioned.

Additionally, a parameter to include in many categories could include how well things adhere to Art Direction, Spec Restrictions, etc.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Honestly, I think you're going the wrong direction with this.

You're conflating the aesthetics (did you pick a nice one for that wall) of textures with the techical aspect (resolution, stretch), and due to a lack of a technical category for models you'll be forced to do the same there. A prop can be modeled well but look like ass in the environment, but it can also be modeled shoddily but work well in the environment.

In my opinion the distinction between technical quality and overall prettiness is more important than the distinction between modeling and texturework.

Same goes for level composition and lighting, sort of. There the difference between understanding playability and making something look nice are more important than the difference between someone working on lighting or on composition. A well laid out map with good usage of light as waypoints can look like shit, still.

Why do I think this discinction is more important? Even if someone has the technical skills down pat and can make anything perfect, they still have to weigh off gameplay versus pretty screenshots. It's like making a performance luxury car; even with unlimited budget and equipment you cannot be the best in both worlds.

So I suggest you make your categories something like:
    Level playability (team-side balance? evenly distributed waypoints/chokepoints? can I discern where I am?)
    Level aesthetics (is it pretty? how unique is it? how's the atmosphere?)
    Level technical (are there any glitches? are props given appropriate resources? modularity perhaps?)
    Prop aesthetics (is it pretty? does it fit within the level in terms of wear/style/era/etc?)
    Prop technical (texel density/stretching, mesh flow/density)

If it's not an option to redo the thing, how about one of these as an additional category:
    Model quality?
    Efficiency?
    Variety/unique feel per area?
    Documentation (so another artist can take over)?

edit: hah all you guys type so much faster than me. Or maybe I should just be less distracted by shiny things on the internet.