Home Technical Talk

Is it possible to have a mirror seam not show at all?

Before assuming I haven't read and searched for others with the same problem, I have, also with no success. I've been having this issue for days and this is after I've read many FAQs going over normal baking and what not. I'm fairly new to baking normals, as I've only been doing it for a few months. To show this issue, I made a simple box, cut it in half, welded so it matches UVs, then baked in xNormal... so yea I cant figure out why I get this slight seam. Thanks for the constructive advice ahead of time.

2hq6olj.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Some more info would be helpful. A better look at the whole lowpoly and highpoly. Your UV layout. Did you offset your mirrored UVs outside the 0-1 UV space? Did you bake with a cage, or just distance?
  • Mistform05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did the following..

Cut mesh in half
    UV'd that half
    Mirrored the mesh and welded
    The offset the new half 1 UV space over.
    Baked in a cage, (tried cage bake in both xNormal and 3DS MAX)

2j4x548.jpg

2dj8pdv.jpg
  • Mistform05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and the low poly is literally just a stretched cube. Wanted to keep it simple so I could figure out this issue.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You're getting a seam because the blurple background color is slightly different than that on the inside of the two rectangles on the righthand side of your texture. The boxes are slighly lighter, which means it's raised a bit (the blue channel kind of works like a heightmap). Being raised, but not at that one middle edge, makes the middle edge recessed and thus you get the seam.
  • Mistform05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So how does one go about so this isn't an issue? Also to be noted, I viewed the low poly with the normal map in xNormal 3D viewer and the seam cannot be seen, yet in Max it is insanely visible.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    What is your final target for this piece? Is it going to be presented in Max?
    if not, don't worry about it unless it looks bad in your final presentation app.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree this is a tough problem to solve and seams are best hidden in areas that aren't right out in the open.

Did you weld the new piece to the old? If you did and then broke it apart again your normals won't match and it will give you a seam. Apply an edit normals modifier to it in max and see how the normals look and how they change as you weld and unweld things. If they change after you've baked its going to cause problems.

You could try creating a new piece next to it without welding it, then create a welded version and align the normals of the split version to the normals of the welded version.

Basically your normals aren't matching at the seam and they need to match perfectly for it to work.
    NormalSeam.jpg
  • Mistform05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I will try a new test and see if it works out. Thanks for the info.
  • Mistform05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I still can't figure out the issue. I opened marmoset and this is what my mesh looks like without any maps applied. The mesh is also welded.

2mkzv9.jpg
  • Mistform05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and as for Vailias's reply, I'm currently creating a rifle as a portfolio piece and I'm now deciding which areas to mirror. I'm fairly sure it won't be noticeable in most cases, but I'm just curious if that seam can be removed, as it is an issue when I mirror anything and weld it.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I believe I see the issue. Notice how on some of those verts the green tangent line is going to the left, but on other's its going to the right? That's going to cause some interpolation errors in the overall math even if the normals are all in the correct direction, and will still be visible in a normal map that is mirrored there.
    You're using max, how are you doing the mirroring? Manually? Mirror modifier? Symmetry modifier? If its not symmetry, try that.

Also pop on an "edit normal" modifier to see what max's normal and tangent data looks like to see if the error in vertex coordinate calculation is in max or in the export process.
  • Mistform05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried all mirroring methods and still get the issue. Just curious, what options should be checked when exporting an obj? Just to make sure I'm doing that right also.
  • Mistform05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've figured out that the seam is due to the UVs being flipped. How does one fix that issue? As I can't seem to find anything on how to resolve this headache lol.