Home General Discussion

Polycount for mobile?

I'd like to browse on my smartphone/tablet but the formatting is pretty awful, especially when large images mess up the format further.

Just thought it would be pretty cool if it were developed, i'm sure there's a lot of us out there who would appreciate a better mobile experience!

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'm not seeing any issues? Well, aside from the text being small, but that's generally not what I'm looking for when I visit PC on my phone...

2013-11-19%2022.34.30.png
    2013-11-19%2022.34.44.png
    2013-11-19%2022.35.25.png

Portrait is fine, too.
    2013-11-19%2022.35.43.png

Maybe your phone/browser is being a douche?

At any rate, a mobile optimized version of polycount would be a good wishlist item for a future version of PC, but I reckon that for now this isn't too bad.
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    I remember reading a post by Adam a while ago that they were working on something for mobile browsing. I usually don't browse on my phone unless I'm really bored because it can be quite a PITA to do. Definitely not the worst mobile forum browsing experience I've had, but it could be better.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    works like a charm for me
    Screenshot_2013-11-19-18-14-46.png
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    It's not ideal because the text width is fixed and so doesn't adjust to fit when zoomed in to a readable size meaning you have to manually pan left and right. Expanding a large image makes the lines even longer so forcing you to pan either way. I don't think the actual rendering of the webpage is a problem.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Frankie wrote: »
    It's not ideal because the text width is fixed and so doesn't adjust to fit when zoomed in to a readable size meaning you have to manually pan left and right. Expanding a large image makes the lines even longer so forcing you to pan either way. I don't think the actual rendering of the webpage is a problem.

most mobile browsers got a option to wrap text so you can zoom in and still read it all with out panning sideways
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I don't see it on mine, stock chrome on android 4.3. I've used that feature happen on other webpages but it dosen't work on the polycount forum.
  • [Deleted User]
    Maybe my eye sight is crap.... but reading such small text at average distance isn't a very enjoyable experience. Also like Frankie says you have to double tap and scroll around relentlessly to read text.

Although polycount might be for art, and it works for that, its nice to read technical talk threads too...

I use Chrome Android too so you may have noticed it.
  • Isaiah Sherman
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I have a shortcut to this polycount feed on my iPhone. It isn't quite quick enough for me, considering it only refreshes every six hours, but it gets the job done and has an Ok mobile layout, especially considering it's all just images anyway:

http://www.conceptroot.com/concept-art-polycount-feed/
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    I've been using the app Feedly for my mobile polycount fixes. Nice previews - but more often than not just takes me to the site via browser if I actually want to read reply's etc. I wish polycount had a dedicated app that took after Feedly's interface and ui flow. I ain't picky tho as long as I get my fix :P
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    hmmm wonder if im alone in not finding panning left and right annoying when zooming in?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    In the future, Polycount will be much more accessible from a mobile device. If a Polycount app was such a thing, what features would you expect the app to have?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I would expect it to have the news page, quick reply's, possible to view and respond to pm's maybe a newest post or newest thread section.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    adam wrote: »
    In the future, Polycount will be much more accessible from a mobile device. If a Polycount app was such a thing, what features would you expect the app to have?

I'm not sure a standalone app is needed, but if I could dream...

A screen showing all the images posted to the WAYWO thread, like wot ConceptRoot has. From each image, you could go to the post, or to the authors profile, (or maybe straight to their post history).

Similarly, maybe a view mode that displays all images posted in all threads from PnP - but only those posted by the person who started the thread. to cut out all the 'jizzing in pants' gifs form people replying. You could swipe images off this screen and it wouldn't show anything from that thread again, allowing you to curate a sort of auto updating subscription mega-thread thing.

I dunno just spitballing here. Twitter for polycount! with images instead of text! blarghlarghargh
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    EDIT: wrong thread.
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Anybody got news on this?