Home General Discussion

Any Polycount team in the Next Great Starship contest?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/contest/the-next-great-starship

Looks EPIC. All caps cuz you have to do a youtube presentation of your team. A preliminary weapon modelling contest BEFORE you have the chance to enter the round of 16 to model a cryengine playable starship. (Current number of registered teams, 82)

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE...last 2 teams standing have to go to L.A. to compete mano a mano style in front of judges and audiencie (is June 2014, E3 month?)

There's a reality tv like episodic gimmick on their youtube channel leading to the finale, where contestants are going to be featured in a weekly show.

KaranaK quit his job for this. Trying to live off crowdfunding as he works on his entry and according to his WIP thread he was looking to teamup with somebody who'll convert his sketchups into cryengine assets.

Replies

• McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Okay, that looks kind of cool, I thought that we needed some kind of program like FaceOff for makeup, just for 3D. :) But gotta admit, I would never have a chance on my own, when competing against teams of 3.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hah man, they should have hired Karanak already, it's silly someone with his skills has to go through a contest like this.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I agree 100% on Karanak, I think his concepts are really amongst the best when it comes to vehicles.
    I mean there's a lot of such sci-fi concepts, but his really stand out as something that is well engineered and could be built.

It seems to me though, that putting as much work as you'd need to make a high quality rigged spaceship towards such a long shot isn't the best idea though.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Man 9001%, KaranaK's been a favourite of mine for years, he's the go to guy when I want some sweet as' spaceship inspiration, folders full of it. :thumbup:

*throws money at monitor*

No time for me *sigh*, I'll just cheer from the sidelines all poser like :D
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    ahaha, I thought of karanak straight away as well. So awesome he is entering! I will be interested to see what the final 16 look like. It sounds tough, but only if the pros come out for it.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Wow the camera lens they used to make that video is fuggin' weird. Makes the two people look like they're deformed.

Cool contest! Those are some monster prizes.