Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Laser Reactor Project

This is a Laser project I am working on.
Trying to bulk my portfolio with some lovely environment pieces. Any advice or suggestions are more than welcome.

Replies

• sketchdaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept art reference for the Project, not created by me.

art-services-environment-concept-art-example-futuristic-interior-with-laser.jpg
  • sketchdaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My progress so far.

rl6d.jpg
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    A good start n the reactor and nice concept you've picked

I would suggest two things:

Blockout the whole scene before you start spending much time on single assets. Maybe you will spot issues in the scene that need to be solved. Maybe you need to change some things in the concept to have better scene composition from different angles. So it is helpfull to know issues like this before 30 % of your assets are done.
    You can also do some first lighting in this stage and have a pretty god feeling how everything workls together: Light, shadows, points of interest etc.

The generator is compared to the concept not detailed enough. (for my taste) You are missing a lot of small scale details that the concept is suggesting by only a few paint-strokes. But you will need those details to sell the idea of such a huge and insanely complex machine. I would try to give it a load of detail on the bottom. As depicted in the concept a player might walk beneath the generator. So tiny details added in those areas are sure to be seen.
    One could worry about texture resolution which is needed to provide enough detail for the high-detail-areas inside the generator. One approach could be to create a tileable machinery/pipe/scify-greeble texture that can be used as base for the inner parts. This texture can be reused in other places of your environment.

good luck with the scene.