Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Poly Gun WIP

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
xXSP3CSXx polycounter lvl 4
Hello, I am learning to do high poly modeling and baking into a normal map for a low poly, and I was just looking for some crits of my first real attempt at it.

gun3.JPG

Gun1.JPG

gun2.JPG

gun5.JPG

gun4.JPG

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Bigger pics + wireframes might help get you crits. One thing I can see now is that your edges are too sharp; they might not transfer too well into the normal map for your lowpoly. Check out the polycount wiki normal map page for more info on this.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    From a technical points its decent actually, edges are too sharp that the main thing, but by design its fundamentally flawed. The grip, the Magazine the barrel, its very unlogic and dosnt look aesthetic at all.

Recreate real life until you are really familiar with that. Get a real reference. Imaginary designs/characters are
    the crown discipline - You cannot start by that without a really strong basis, I made that mistake at start aswell. Id really recommend working closely with references. That way you learn the fastest.

Edit: Wow, that concept...., pro teaching, ladies and gentlemen
  • xXSP3CSXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits I will work on it some more, but regarding the design I can understand what you are saying but I am making this for class and we were given a very specific gun that we had to make, and could not make any changes to it.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When modelling to a specific concept, it helps if you post the reference; it let's us focus our critiques on your work rather than the design.
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    from what i can see, it looks like the main body of the gun is based of a thompson, but heavily modified. you might want to look at that for any references other than the concept art you are working from.
  • xXSP3CSXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the concept of the gun that we were given.
    side.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scope is most probably mounted on picatinny rails; the little bugger a pretty ubiquitous these days. The rails would certainly continue under the mount, and the mount would be wider than the rails.
    weaver-rings-and-picatinny-rail-mount.jpg

Although I must say that the design is a bit of a chimera; an automatic weapon with a scope and a very short suppressor is a very unusual concept.
  • xXSP3CSXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update that I have to turn into today.
    first.JPG
    gun3.JPG
    gun4.JPG
    gun.JPG
    side.JPG
  • Heather_Bea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heather_Bea polycounter lvl 5
    Did you model the release button into the mesh or as a separate piece?
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    id really suggest taking a look at the weaver rails. the things on top look sort of pointless and out of place at the moment.
  • xXSP3CSXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [SKETCHFAB]18b9e8f92f15493cad116e494e7d710a[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    remove those L brackets and make correct rails, even if this isn't supposed to be a realistic gun you can't just treat those ridges as greebles.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The safety/selector switch is much too small, and the trigger guard is way too thick. This is probably closest to what you have, a late-war design with numerous simplifications:
    thompson_switch.jpg
  • xXSP3CSXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am just looking for crits on the high poly, again I did not come up with the design and I am unable to change the look of the gun.
    xXSP3CSXx wrote: »
    Thanks for the crits I will work on it some more, but regarding the design I can understand what you are saying but I am making this for class and we were given a very specific gun that we had to make, and could not make any changes to it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    xXSP3CSXx wrote: »
    I am just looking for crits on the high poly, again I did not come up with the design and I am unable to change the look of the gun.

The concept isn't set in stone, if there is something incorrect in the concept I bring it up to my lead and typically just have to fix it myself. Let your instructor know, perhaps being a flexible artist is part of the test but I doubt it.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Hey ya'll.. I'm their instructor. This isn't a practice on design of the gun but more on if they can follow a concept provided by me. Its a modeling exercise, not a gun design project :P. They can't change anything, it is set in stone :)
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    were they given more than just the profile drawing? of so, then design has to be at least a part of it, considering that they're only seeing 2 axes of a 3 dimensional object, right? there are quite a few things that could be improved that mostly relate to the dimension not shown in that concept, so implementing them would not be changing the given design.

specifically, making the ridges on top into rails would make more sense, provide more visual interest, and not vary from the concept at all. offsetting the main drum of the magazine would provide more visual interest and also harken to IRL snail magazines from roughly the same time period as the Thompson itself:

Image1%209mm%20%20Snail%20Drum%20Magazine%201st%20Issue.Ref.TA.6Rd.jpg

which is honestly what i thought was going on in the concept, by how it's drawn.

final "dimensions" note would be that the receiver, stock, and pistol grip could probably be slimmed down, as there's no need for them to greatly exceed the width of the magazine and barrel (especially the barrel, since that's a cylinder so you can get its actual width based on that profile concept):

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=slTc833ICJwa8M&tbnid=ueco5n9hrLpD2M:&ved=0CAUQjBwwADhP&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deactivated-guns.co.uk%2Fimages%2Fthompson_1928_a1%2Fthompson_1928_17.jpg&ei=lz-MUsPPCoHliALIsYGIAg&psig=AFQjCNELH7iTEFqf0nifE4PVyAjRn036OQ&ust=1385009431249151

and on a non-design note, right now it looks like the foregrip is floating in the air, on the concept the metal "brackets" on its ends join into the actual barrel.
  • xXSP3CSXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [SKETCHFAB]f9495c0af65244f181f4bf38eef36c5d[/SKETCHFAB]