Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review Por Favor

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
TXVinylJunkie polycounter lvl 9
Hello,

I'm looking for critiques and things to work on to improve my portfolio. Any C&C would greatly be appreciated. Tear me a new one if needed.

Thank you,

Eli

Site: http://elisassenhagen3d.wordpress.com/

Replies

• KKolar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KKolar polycounter lvl 3
    First of all I would have your strongest assets on your front page, what you have there now doesn't make a good first impression.
    As far as your work goes I would really work on not using so many photo pasted textures. Right now it just looks like you slapped on some photos and called it done. You really need to give each piece a story and fleshing out those textures will help a lot. Go in there and hand paint the edges to look more worn, break up the noise etc.
    Also look at a game you strive towards and try and create your assets till you get to that level. And if you don't think you have the skills, pretend, and soon enough you will.
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    Hello !

Some mistakes that are often made:
    -Don't post WIP content on your portfolio. I did it too, but it is bad.
    -Skip the "Welcome" page, go directly to the art.

For your art itself, you should really learn to do nice and detailed highpoly. For the whole model, not just some details.

You are an environment artist, but I did not see any environment on your portfolio, maybe you should focus on one single environment and spend the time needed to make it look great.

Maybe you should just spend more time on each model you make. Work on them until you are really satisfied and until you think it is at a real professional quality. That it could be placed in a AAA game environment.

Do the renders either in a game engine (Like UDK or Cryengine) or a nice realtime 3d engine like Marmoset, and try to really understand how shader works, how to set up a good specular power/glow for your model. I see that you made specular maps for your models, but I don't see it in your screenshots (Again, 3dsMax is not really good to render models with those 3 maps alone and without special shaders)

Good Luck !
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Only put your best work up, your job is to impress potential employers. Get feedback from other artists on this forum or other places (CGHub, etc.) before adding anything to your portfolio. Definitely remove any WIP's, no employer wants to see that (it makes them think that you don't finish stuff). Also, all of the threads on here are full of invaluable info (Linky).
  • TXVinylJunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TXVinylJunkie polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you all. Any of you guys know of a good tutorial on how to do an AO bake for interior scenes using Maya?
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    There is no specific polycount for any prefabs, it completely depends on what your are modeling... It still has to be as low as possible, but for the visual quality you look for.
    It depends on how complex the object is, how important it is in your scene (More important assets can have a bit higher polycount, but assets that are only visible from far away can have a lower polycount than the average).

(About your portfolio, I don't think that having a biped reference is really necessary)

I don't think having only hand painted texture is really a plus. There is no problem with using textures from cgtextures and such, but you have to do more than just that. Add details on top of this. Make your assets more interesting. For this you can just think about how the real object would be made, or use references (For example your Arch could have been far more interesting with a more complex architecture).

Also, be careful, avoid having too noisy textures, it really hurts the readability of your models. If a whole scene is noisy, then you just can't see anything.