Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: MegSteve

I've had an account on the forum for a few months now, but I've rarely been on. I hope getting a sketchbook up will fix that. I'll appreciate critique wherever I can get it.

Entry 1: I've mucked with Zbrush detailing base models from Max and Maya previously, but this is my first time working with dynamesh and Zbrush's retopology tools. The subject is a fantastic species of dinosaur inspired by a mash-up of a raptor with an Andean condor for plumage and coloration. My goal is to have a game-ready mesh textured (at bare minimum) to submit to the Stan Winston School's current art contest.

I started with a very basic sketch in Photoshop.

Sketches_1024x600-1_zps211f2d47.png

I used that sketch as a guideline while sculpting the dynamesh, with a few changes. After checking references, I decided to push the structure of the face wattles a bit further than in the original sketch.

RaptorIPFront_3_zpsb7d77834.png

RaptorIPSide_3_zps7af3ce2b.png

RaptorIPPersp_3_zpse21145f5.png

And here's the current progress on the Zsphere retopology. I'm using Zspheres to study the technique for experience and because the university's computers lack any additional retopology plugins or software (being an alumni has a few perks, but not all).

RaptorIPSide_4_zps33437781.png

RaptorIPSide_4-2_zps7487e781.png

RaptorIPFront_4_zps333a1832.png

RaptorIPFront_4-2_zps3a409618.png

RaptorIPPersp_4_zps8b0cfbea.png

RaptorIPPersp_4-2_zpsb7a31aea.png

I think that my biggest difficulties going forward will be the wings. I wanted to stick to a more scientifically accurate position for the wrists (the palms always face inwards like a bird's wings instead of downwards like a JP-style pseudoraptor). However, I'm unsure of how best to lay out the edge loops to keep the movement accurate. I've already got a few low-poly feather planes in Max, so when I get the naked body done I'll build up the rest of the wing there.

Replies