Home Technical Talk

question regarding low poly asset creation pipeline / workflow

robertg
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
robertg polycounter lvl 3
firstly, I'm kind of new here and not really sure where this type of thread belongs. so sorry in advance if this is better suited for another forum section.

I have created a high poly dinosaur in zbrush using dynamesh. at this point Im fairly happy with the sculpt but I would like to create a low - mid range poly asset from it.

however, this is where I'm stuck. Im not very familiar with the pipeline used in creating a game res asset. Do i continue on with polypainting, or perhaps create a low poly mesh and unwrap it? or maybe some other step entirely that im missing?

sorry if this is vague. I'm just kind of stuck at this point and would appreciate any advice on what to do next. Thanks in advance!

here a quick zbrush render of said model
dino%202.jpg

Replies

• putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Both options are valid. With a creature asset like this where you don't have a lot of different "parts", it's easier to paint it in ZBrush first to avoid getting UV seams.

After that you create the lowpoly mesh, unwrap its UVs and bake the polypaint (vertex colors) and other maps from the high poly sculpt.
  • robertg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robertg polycounter lvl 3
    thanks for the quick reply! unless anyone else chimes in ill get started on painting this thing tonight. wish me luck!