Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio/Website Review (It's that time of year)

I know there's a lot of requests for website/portfolio reviews, so firstly I apologize for throwing another one into the mix. However, it would really help to have more eyes on it to help me bring it to where it needs to be.

http://mikeseguin.webs.com/

What are my strengths? What are my weaknesses? What do you like? What do you dislike? What am I missing? What do I have too much of?

Replies

• iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    First thing.
    To. Many. Clicks.

I was determined so I actually clicked 4 times to see images. But believe me. Most people won't be. If they can't see stuff without clicking they will just close page.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I agree. Something more streamlined like this might be a better setup. http://lazaruz.carbonmade.com/
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Some quick crits on the portfolio in it's entirety:
    1. The portfolio page should be the first page you see, not some superfluous splash page.
    2. The thumbnails are too small.
    3. If you're going to write about games you've worked on you should at least show an image or preferably a video in my opinion.
    4. Make more renders in real-time engines (UDK, Cry-engine, Unity or Toolbag).
    5. Don't show stuff that are obviously just a simple school assignment (looking at the rendering exercise under 2D art and the 3d character).
    6. Allow me to open bigger pictures.
    7. Move level design into rest of portfolio (just be sure to be clear about what you made) as they are the clearly the best parts.
    8. Decide what you want to do (weapons/vehicles/props/characters) and stick to it.

Crits on individual pieces:
    Tree - you should try bending the vertex normals on the leaves as this would make the lighting look a lot better.
    Caustics - Why is this even here? It looks like a quick test project, it's not textured and worst of all it is certainly not something you'd see in a real-time engine.
    Speed-character - Turn off the wires so I can see the texture. You didn't even model this yourself so why do you show the wires for it? From what I can see the texture looks fairly flat.
    Truck - Inverted and/or very unsynched normalmap. You mush have seen that there was a problem with this one yourself, right? Also it's not finished.
    Gun - Looks very blobby. Does it even have smoothinggroups?
    Sword - Too monochrome. Add some more colors and medium details.

I would remove some of the lowest quality pieces such as the truck, caustics, character and maybe also the gun (if you don't re-bake it).
  • MikeSeguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, good stuff guys. I added links to my portfolio on my home page. Obviously the aesthetics need to read a little better for the links, which I'll work on.

And thanks Nosslak. As this year goes on, I'll have plenty of much better stuff to replace those problematic pieces.

Just one minor thing about that speed character I should note: I did have to model it. I had three hours to model, UV map, and texture it. But, I digress, and accept your points.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Great point from previous posters, and I have one more:

why can I post comments on your portfolio pieces?
  • MikeSeguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a built-in feature of webs, I just turned them off. I'm guessing it's a bad idea to have it on?
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Agree with the too many clicks statement. Landing Page->Albums Page->Thumbnails Page->Single image is a pretty long progression. There are only 9 images in your 3D section. Why not just show em all in a column at a nice size and let the viewer scroll through.
  • MikeSeguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough Goat; it's just at the moment, I am sorely lacking in portfolio-worthy 3D pieces. I am in the midst of compiling and adding to a better portfolio for that. ( I'm knee-deep in several school-related projects that fit this category.)
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh... Sorry, I think I misunderstood your initial request. You're looking for comments and critique on the work itself rather than the site?

If so, that's definitely a good thing. It's the content of the portfolio that matters most. I'll take a look and post some comments for you later when I've got a bit more time.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Please remove your Halo 3 Forge map from your portfolio.
  • MikeSeguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Scizz, I don't mean to sound argumentative, I'm just curious as to the reasoning for suggested actions so I can understand the decision:

Why is it a bad idea to have on there?

Also, don't think your guy's opinions are falling on deaf ears. I'm collating a list of changes, and working on it when I have spare time.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I highly doubt any studio is going to take a map created with forge seriously. At least I would certainly hope not.
  • MikeSeguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My ultimate goal is to showcase a few maps from different engines. As it stands now, I'm working on one in Unity, and in the initial stages of planning one out for CryEngine.

Is it a good idea to showcase work from different engines? That seems like the best bet to me. Or should I keep it consistent with UDK?
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    As others have said in some way.

Jump directly to Big Images.

Your Off road vehicle, make sure it's finished.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Showcasing in different real time engines is fine, but part of being an enviornment artist is creating the assets from scratch and building a scene/level from your own creations. Simply placing pre made assets around to make a level isn't going to cut when there is a multitude of people who can do both plus more. It's cool and all, but no one is going to consider because you designed a level with Halo 3's forge editor, or Trial HD's level creator.

I guess in some rare cases it's okay though. Say, you were an internet famous forge editor that made multiple maps and everyone in the community and even Bungie took notice of you etc. But that's still a grey area. IMO just get rid of it.
  • Subtle 1rony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    They say your portfolio is only as strong as your weakest piece. Think about only showing off your strongest pieces.

There are also some really nice portfolio templates on other sites I've seen, like wordpress or squarespace. I just set up a squarespace template myself. I chose it because I was able to make enough changes to make it my own. It does cost 8 bucks a month though.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep in mind that for most companies, level design and artwork creation are two entirely different disciplines. Yes, artists under the art director create the actual assets, but placing them in game and laying out the map is done by level designers under the direction of the lead designer. Lines can become a bit blurred, especially in smaller companies, but for the most part they are in two separate departments. Concentrate on asset creation, and use the engines to showcase your own artwork.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally got a chance to sit down and look through your stuff. Took some notes and I went. Here's some general advice and my thoughts on each of the images. It actually takes a while to break down each images so things get a bit blunt in places. Not trying to be mean just tired and moving quickly. You've got some work ahead of you and I hope this can point out some ways to improve.

Please ask if something is unclear.

paste

I know several others have already said it, but it bears repeating that your work right now doesn’t really have a clear focus. Even the objective on your resume lists several very different jobs. From what I've seen its pretty normal for students such as yourself to have a body of work that touches on many different areas, but doesn't really show a commitment to one in particular. I'm sure your school had you take on a variety of assignments from different disciplines. The trick in my experience is to use that work to figure out what you do well and would like to pursue professionally.

My experience has been that there are three different job types that go into creating game environments:Asset Creation, World-building, and Level Design. Asset creation is always under the art department and consists of creating the models and textures that make up the world. World-building is the process of putting together the pieces into a finished level (may also include lighting). It sometimes falls under art and sometimes is under design depending on how a particular studio is set up. Level design is primarily concerned with determining the necessary space for game-play. Designers will usually start with block-outs of the space, and may do preliminary or final set dressing depending on who's plate world-building is on at that studio. Some designers will work almost entirely with grey-box areas. It's probably a good idea to figure out whether you prefer asset creating or level design.

#1-2

Leaves in the upper right aren't well defined. There's a rough irregular edge and a kind bumpy normal map, but no features like veins or a curvature to the leaf itself that would really indicate the form.

Stones on the wall seem oversized and there is a VERY obvious mirroring about 1/3 of the way up and in a few other places. The top of the wall is flat white, and the vertical columns? Are textured with grey noise. The shape of the model is extremely simplistic, and the textures look like photos mapped on at way too large a scale. It actually looks like a blockout asset, but the framing makes it a candidate for the focus of the shot. Based on shot 2 this looks like its actually a building.

The bridge is very simple geometry wise and textured with what look like tiled photos of cement. The surfaces of these objects have pattern and texture, but nothing that helps accentuate the form of the model. They read like colored masses rather than the things they are supposed to represent. Medium sized details can help give these models more character.

Terrain textures look pretty good.

No texture maps posted... means I cant figure out how you approached the assets in the scene. I suspect your approach to creating and especially texturing architecture may be flawed.

Might want to look these over:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/ModularMountAndBlade
    http://wiki.polycount.com/TextureAtlas
    http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/modular_sets/modular_sets.html

It's a low poly model with just a normal map on it.... If there was a highpoly it should probably be posted along with the LP. As it is this looks like an exercise, that was never finished. There are a number of weird shadow gradients above the wheel wells. Overall the low poly geometry seems a bit too simple. Things that would probably be fairly medium/large details like the windows on the front or the headlights and grille are entirely textured onto a flat surface. The normal mapped details tend to be shapes sitting on top of the surface of the model rather than creating the illusion that the surface is broken up into separate masses.

Only the one posted image, and no textures or wireframes so its hard to really dive into where things got off track.

#4.
    If you're going to highlight a really commonly modeled object like and oil drum, be sure its the best damn oil drum anyone’s ever seen.

Grey with black dents looks more like stone than rusted metal to me.

Weird specular highlights around the black dents... probably a halo in the normal map.

Too low poly... this is just a cylinder... I think you could spare the polys to model in the ridges on the sides... or maybe a lip to the top...

No wear and tear at all on the top? There is more wear at the bottom... but everywhere else the demage is evenly applied... objects weather most on exposed edges. And gather dirt in crevices and low places...

#5.

Someone else did the low poly? Maybe not the best choice for folio work.

This object feels much better divided into separate masses than any so far.

Could do more to separate metal from plastic specular wise.

Shilouette feels low poly to me.

Sky texture behind the gun is unnecessary/distracting.

Crop out the UDK window frame.

No info on specs of the model. No textures posted, No shot of the high poly... If the textures and highpoly were your contributions, focus on them.

Sword doesn’t appear particularly “rusty” I'd expect to see some interplay of still shiny metal areas and reddish rust... this is grey and kinda dirty looking.

Even the wrapping on the handel is grey.

The model is actually OK for what it is. A fairly low spec sword. Could use some more variation in specularity between clean areas, rust/dirt, and whatever the handle is wrapped with. Leather?

No textures posted.

http://www.knife-depot.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Rusty-knife1.jpg ← check out the shiny vs dull areas. It's ok to define some spots as having gathered more rust than others.

#7. If showing a modular set its a good idea to show the pieces and how they go together.

Texture sheets would be nice

Lighting is very flat and material definition is lacking. Is this plastic, painted metal, cement. Lighting and specularity go a long way towards communicating what something is made of.

Floor tiles run under the rounded curb thing rather than ending where it begins

#8 Cut it.

Its character art and extremely low-res at that.

texture looks kinda nice, but I can't really see it under the Maya wireframe.

Silhouette has some oddly straight lines.

#9. Its a tree made in speed tree....

The geo is all generated in the tool, so The textures are the most important thing you could have contributed. Find some way to work them into the image.
  • MikeSeguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the detailed feedback; I know what time is worth, so thank you for sitting down to make detailed notes.

From the feedback so far, looks like my best bet is to tear down all my 3D assets and rebuild my portfolio from the ground up, rather than swapping around as I have new material.

Aside from the detailed critique, there's a few general key points I'm noticing here that seem to be consistent:

1) Streamline the website for easier navigation/focus

2) Break down the process of work to show the steps, such as texture sheets. Would it be wise to do that for all the portfolio assets? Or just the best ones?

3) Eliminate lower-tier artwork from previous school years and include only my most recent, best work, even if it means fewer pieces

4) Focus the portfolios. I.E. Level Design portfolio, Lighting portfolio, and 3D Modelling portfolio

5) Avoid generic assets like drums/crates unless they're top-tier
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeSeguin wrote: »

2) Break down the process of work to show the steps, such as texture sheets. Would it be wise to do that for all the portfolio assets? Or just the best ones?

If the asset is posted by itself, Texture sheets, final high poly, and maybe a wire-frame are good ideas. For a scene you can just show the breakdowns for hero assets and ignore minor props.
    3) Eliminate lower-tier artwork from previous school years and include only my most recent, best work, even if it means fewer pieces

Absolutely. Quality first.
    4) Focus the portfolios. I.E. Level Design portfolio, Lighting portfolio, and 3D Modelling portfolio

I would even say choose one to focus on. Companies tend to hire to fill a specific position. Ideally your portfolio advertises you as a great fit for that role in particular. Clearly promoting a set of marketable skills will server you better than documenting every project and interest.
  • MikeSeguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way, I thought I'd clear one small thing up: My goal is Level Designer, not environment art. That was my justification for including the Forge level.

I'll work on my site a little bit today and shuffle it around a little.

I'm going to take the Level Design page and just straight up integrate it into the home page, as level design is my focus. That will also serve as my 'portfolio.'

I'll then re-name my current 'portfolio' page to just 'Gallery' and reorganize my work there into the following categories:

> Level Design
    > 3D Modelling
    > Concept Art

I'm also thinking of integrating a few of my animations into the site somehow; as a tertiary skillset to show that I have an operational understanding/proficiency in those skillsets. Is this a good idea?

As far as the individual critiques go, all the bad stuff you have pointed out will be ripped out for this reorganizational step.
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    I agree with all of the points that Goat Justice made and I would also say that if your goal is to just be a level designer, don't worry about 3D modelling or concept art.

Make levels in Source, UDK and CryEngine using existing materials and show your blockouts of how the flow of the level would work. The most important thing to show is how the design affects gameplay and how your design follows the technical restrictions of the engine and the assets that you are working with. Showing your planning documents and your level designs is what will get you the job, not an oil drum or a car.
  • MikeSeguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, made a few changes, (progress is still ongoing, so don't fret if commonly recommended changes aren't implemented yet):

> Moved Level Design portfolio to front page alongside Demo Reel. (Demo Reel will eventually be replaced by a Level Design-oriented reel come April, when I have finished stuff)

> Renamed old 'Portfolio' page to just 'Gallery,' to showcase other secondary and tertiary skillsets (3D Assets, 2D Artwork). Also adjusted page order to put more important ones closer to the Home page.

> Gutted my 3D Asset gallery and added some new stuff: My Goblin, and a breakdown of his model and textures

> Added '-- Level Designer' subtitle to website header
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    It's definitely an improvement. I don't think it's enough, but it's a move in the right direction and you said you're not done.

I'm not a character artist but I'll give you some critique for the goblin anyway:
    - The chest is way too low.
    - The shoulders seem too wide and bit misshapen
    - The eyes stick out way too much. Add some light red to sides of them and (if they aren't going to be animated) some baked shadows as well.
    - The shorts don't look natural as their texture just ends without any trim or color changes (take a look at these).
    - There are no shadows under the string.
    - Fingers look very boxy, but it's hard to tell from this angle.
    - Go with a shaded/hidden wireframe option if available where I don't see the wires of the back as right now I can't see shit.
    - The lips have the same color as the rest of the skin.

If you want to work as a level designer then I think you should tailor your portfolio way more towards that. IMO you should either skip all the 3D altogether or if you really want to keep them just focus on environment stuff (and gut characters and weapons). Characters are supposedly the hardest models to get hired to do so if that's not your goal you should probably make something else.

Also why are the floorplans separate from the projects they are used in? Put them in the relevant sections instead. If you've got any additional ones just them in that section.

I don't have any professional experience doing this, so take what I say with a grain of salt.