Home General Discussion

20-inch tablet, 4K res display, pen w/ 2,000 levels of pressure

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
Toughpad 4K UT-MB5

http://reign23.com/panasonic-20-inch-tablet/

OT, does anyone just use Retina display (any device) for color proofing instead of having to use regular color calibrators for non-print usage?

Replies

• dazzerfong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great until you see the price: ~$6,000. Still, at least it's something that's not targetted at consumers but professionals, so I guess it's kinda valid.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Leasing is the way to go for poor freelancers! I did it with my Cintiq.

The specs are my dream specs though (except the chubby pen - looks like a veterinary syringe).

This would work great for life drawing or outdoor painting/ sculpting.

Fingers crossed, Yaynova or Monoprice or some other price busting brand can offer decent knockoffs.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    They should really add "IT HAS WINDOWS 8" warning before they advertise this.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I watched the video and couldnt stop laughing. It would make a great april fools joke because what those talking heads kept saying was hilarious. None of them said anything that actually made you think they would seriously use it for production work, rather it was obvious someone was paying them to vaguely imply how awesome it is.

Cool, a high rez display, thats all I can get out of that. I wouldnt use that in place of a wacom at all, especially with that baby arm sized pen, which doesnt look all that functional.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    It will be great for those professional picture sliders. Is that a profession yet? ;)
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how they keep calling it "portable" in the video.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    They should really add "IT HAS WINDOWS 8" warning before they advertise this.

Yeah, but its designed for touch.

The greatest use of my Surface Pro is through hand-written note taking with the Windows 8 version of OneNote. Honestly its an asset not to have to worry about window arrangement, tiny little drop menus, or icons in this context.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, but its designed for touch.

The greatest use of my Surface Pro is through hand-written note taking with the Windows 8 version of OneNote. Honestly its an asset not to have to worry about window arrangement, tiny little drop menus, or icons in this context.

Believe it or not, I actually bought the surface pro, and suffered through it because all of MS talks about how good it is was a lie. At first no one had the screen shield as soon as it came out (which took me a while to find.) Windows 8 sucked (Atleast for me, because I am not a big fan of Windows 8 for certain reasons.)

Importing through USB to SP was a mess as well.
    light programming was a mess as well.
    doing arts on it was iffy.

I dont know about the current version of surface pro but the first one was a mess, with very limited extensions.

So I exchanged it for a laptop. I am saving up for the cintiq hybrid.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    H8fS2Fl.jpg

4nzkDhP.jpg

What an unappealing device.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ lold irl

MagicSugar wrote: »

OT, does anyone just use Retina display (any device) for color proofing instead of having to use regular color calibrators for non-print usage?

if you're referring to retina macbook pro's, they need to be properly calibrated before doing anything color sensitive, apple laptops come w. shiny high contrast screens and shitty factory presets (grays too cold, saturation cranked up, etc.);
    I don't think using retina ipads for color proofing is possible at all?