Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spin: My graduation short, fully rendered in Viewport 2.0

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone!

This is a short film I've been working on at school with 2 other blokes.
It's fully rendered in real time using Maya 2014's Viewport 2.0, DX11 shaders.

Due to lack of time we really couldn't bring the assets to their full potential, but the whole thing connects better than expected. :)

Hope you like it and would love to hear some opinions!

https://vimeo.com/77894325

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 4
    Wow. I love the style! Everything is well made. Definitely an inspiration for me. How long did it take to do the whole thing?
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    great job! I wonder if we'll be seeing more of these type of shorts made from maya/max viewports
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    cant believe thats all made in viewport 2.0, amazing!!!!!!!!
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the majority of time was spent figuring out the concept, since it's so surreal it was very hard to make sense of everything. The art direction was also pretty heavy since we needed it to be quick to make, simplified and geometric but not "dry" looking. Also, I knew we're gonna render everything using VP2.0, which is, to put it lightly, not fully compatible with productions of entire films. More of a visualization tool than anything else.

So working out all the early stages took us most of the college year, around 5 months or maybe more. During that time we were busy designing characters and doing render tests on Maya, designing shots and directing the film (storyboarding).

Then with the remaining 3-4 months we modeled everything, rigged it all (thank you advanced skeleton), set up cameras, lighting, render settings, did the animation and exported it out to After Effects for some final post work.

The beauty is that because rendering was so quick, the majority of post work was done within Maya, and we only added some lens flares, smoke and did minor color fixes in After Effects.

I do believe this is going to become a sort of a standard for film makers as time goes by. I chose VP2.0 mainly out of belief that it's inevitable for us to be using real time engines for everything eventually.

If you're a student working on a short film, my suggestion is this: Work with a real time engine. you probably don't have time to bring out the full potential of a standard rendering engine, so might as well use the extra time saved by real time rendering to push the limits of a game engine instead. The end result can be awesome, this film is just the tip of the tip of the iceberg, I mean it. The potential is awesome. And if you use a game engine, that's even more awesome.
  • dirtyhairy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtyhairy polycounter lvl 12
    awesome video! I like your camera angles and visual flow. Interesting characters and style as well.
  • vertexgordon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really fantastic and inspiring work. Thank you for sharing it!
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    This film was a hell of a ride, I really had no idea if it's gonna be any good, but response has been positive, it makes us all thrilled. :)
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    very cool, really nice stylization and smart use of it.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Ravenok wrote: »
    If you're a student working on a short film, my suggestion is this: Work with a real time engine. you probably don't have time to bring out the full potential of a standard rendering engine, so might as well use the extra time saved by real time rendering to push the limits of a game engine instead. The end result can be awesome, this film is just the tip of the tip of the iceberg, I mean it. The potential is awesome. And if you use a game engine, that's even more awesome.

I think some professional studios are at least experimenting with real-time engines... I've seen stuff on real-time live mocap and that recent lucasfilm thing where they used 1313's engine for real-time animation.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ravenslayer!

Yeah, the Lucas Films Star Wars thing came out about a month after we finished the work on this film. Obviously I was blown away by the level of realism they achieved. 1313's engine is based on unreal 3, but still the quality there is staggering. I bet it's some monster PC with 200 tesla cards, and the absolute beyond maximum of 1313's engine.

Either way, my plan for this film was to render it out of Cryengine 3, but that was a huge mess to handle since I was the only one in the team with any knowledge in game art, or game engines, and my knowledge in CE3's cinematic tools is very limited. So we stuck with Maya's tools, which posed a bunch of problems (mainly shadows and managing big scenes with lots of textures).

I was kinda hoping to get my hands on Cinebox but that didn't happen. Still hoping. I'd be happy.
  • RondoOO_B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RondoOO_B null
    Great Work!

So I'm curious as to how you achieved this through Viewport 2.0.  And what do you mean by render?  To the best of my knowledge you can only playblast Viewport 2.0.  Would you be willing to share your Viewport settings, and which render you utilized (i.e. maya software, maya hardware, hardware 2.0)  I can give you my email if you'd prefer not to make it public.

Best regards
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RondoOO_B said:
    Great Work!

So I'm curious as to how you achieved this through Viewport 2.0.  And what do you mean by render?  To the best of my knowledge you can only playblast Viewport 2.0.  Would you be willing to share your Viewport settings, and which render you utilized (i.e. maya software, maya hardware, hardware 2.0)  I can give you my email if you'd prefer not to make it public.

Best regards
    Whoa, it's been a while, so I don't think I can even dig that information up. The render settings I mean.

It's Viewport 2.0. 
    The project was rendered using Maya 2014, the first version where VP2.0 first had DirectX11 support.

Since you can't batch render using VP2.0, I remember using the standard rendering options.
    I rendered the project scene-by-scene. So you render through the normal render screen and you set it up so it renders a frame range, instead of just a single picture.

It was a bit of a hacky approach, I admit. We wanted to use a game engine to do it, but I was the only one up to the task and I didn't have enough experience with any engine back then, to confidently attempt it with the time we had.

If you want more info, feel free to ask more specific questions. I don't mind sharing anything here, but images from the original setup would be a problem to get. Not to mention, 4 years later I realize how much I'd do differently. :)