Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique Please

Hello all. Starting to finalize my portfolio now and would like some critique (good or bad) on what I have so far.
Feel free to offer suggestions as well.

Thanks.

PORTFOLIO: http://www.davidjohngardner.com

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Don't forget to add an email :), There's one in your resume but no where else.
    Looking good so far.
  • Reowwww
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reowwww polycounter lvl 6
    I think you need to focus more on your material definition to really sell your work, Marmoset explain a few material reads pretty nicely.
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/materials
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd get rid of the widget that loads the images and just display them directly. Your portfolio should be about the art, not about fancy web pages.

In a shocking departure from my usual comments, I think your first scene could really use some more polygons in the appropriate places. The wall corner, for example, is much too sharp and could use a subtle chamfer to make it appear more natural. The camera also feels much too boxy; adding something as simple as a hood above the camera will add to its believability. I think you've also spent too much time & detail on the rear of the camera, which will probably never be seen.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZrubK3aQJQMCVrFfnH1JxTLC6zyC-Zm4eHTxQb1d0AiwN31sTug

The doors seem to float above the wall, especially in the wall segment picture; part of the problem might be that the door frame is much too thick - it should be 1/4" above the wall at most. The round handles on the door just really don't look right; I'd recommend switching to a more common straight handle.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQc02AL0pW-IO--xMgPLbF1g2ERvMypDb3zthhC1-dAuj349ciu2w
  • djgardner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for looking over my portfolio.

Material definition is one of my weak points, and I've know that for a while now.
    Probably going back to creating stand alone props and really nail the texturing before I continue with another environment.