Home General Discussion

Any game studios in the UK doing stylized games?

Bering
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Bering polycounter lvl 7
I graduate in about a year, as a Computer Graphic Artist. I'm currently looking for places I could potentially apply to and work at, in the UK.

However, a lot of the content being made in the UK, is either realistic games, or free-to-play Facebook games. At least of what I am aware of.

I am looking for stylized games, such as League of Legends, Dota, Torchlight, Orcs Must Die, World of Warcraft - However, I have had a hard time, finding any studios, with that particular art style in the UK. (Or styles even remotely close)

There is not much, in fact close to no game development in my own country, so I'm planning on moving to the UK once I graduate.

I'd love to go to the states. Unfortunately, the American Embassy in my country makes everything into an unbreakable loop. In order to apply for jobs, I need a sponsorship, and in order to get a sponsorship I need a job, a job which I can't even apply for, as I have no sponsorship.

So if anyone knows about any studios, doing stylized games in the UK please let me know! :) Thanks!

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    fable or runescape? theyre both stylised but not in the same way as dots/wow etc
  • Bering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bering polycounter lvl 7
    Jagex's Runescape looks really interesting, and is definitely something I'd check out.

Regarding Fable, I love the earlier ones a lot, but I think over the years, they've gone a lot towards the realistic style. Especially when it comes to the environments.

As a student, I would of course not be picky at all - and applying anywhere is an option for me, no matter style. But it is very nice to know what the options are, before applying.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Does it have to be the fantasy genre? As that's maybe too specific.

Media Molecule are pretty awesome.

Plenty of mobile studios so look there!
  • Bering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bering polycounter lvl 7
    Fomori wrote: »
    Does it have to be the fantasy genre? As that's maybe too specific.

Media Molecule are pretty awesome.

Plenty of mobile studios so look there!

I had never heard of the media Molecule - so thanks a lot for sharing!

It doesn't have to be fantasy, or a specific setting - anything works, as long as it is stylized
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    There are something like 200 studios in the UK, of all scales, and covering pretty much every aspect of the industry. Moving to the UK is not going to be a golden bullet and there is no point moving here unless you have succeeded in getting a job there. Unemployment there is at a record high and you'll be competing with literally hundreds of local artists for every graduate level art position.

There are loads of studios in Europe and I wouldn't write them off and only look at the UK. Where are you from? The last person who came in here and complained about their lack of local industry was located only a few miles from a major game development hub...

I would worry about your requirement that it has to be 'stylized'. This implies to me that your skills are perhaps lacking if you cannot be flexible with your work. If this is the case, you may need some practice and personal learning before applying. The barrier to entry in many studios is very high. I would start a personal work thread here on PC to get the best possible advice.
  • Bering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bering polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for your comment, Ambershee.
    I understand it's not a golden bullet - but the majority of games companies around here, are in Copenhagen, and very few, or close to none are hiring - and I cannot afford living in Copenhagen.

UK is high on my priority list, as I really enjoy spending time in the UK, and I can see myself live there more than in Germany or Sweden, where I've also spend a lot of time.

I can be flexible with styles, and I don't mind doing realistic stuff if I absolutely have to. I just find a personal appeal to work with stylized stuff, above realistic - and that is why I wish to explore the field, before applying anywhere.

I might be competing with hundreds of local artists. But don't forget - universities are spitting out artists now a days, with skills so poor, they don't live up to the industry standards. So I am not worried about the local competition to be honest.

I have also been offered about a handful of jobs, which I unfortunately had to turn down, as I haven't graduated yet and would like to finish my university study. So I am not concerned about getting a job - I would just like to know more, of what types of studios are out there, before I apply.

Also, I did make a work thread on PC, but I have yet not received any advise yet. In the meantime I am asking the teachers and supervisors at university for advise. But all advise is welcome, and the more the better!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bering wrote: »
    But don't forget - universities are spitting out artists now a days, with skills so poor, they don't live up to the industry standards. So I am not worried about the local competition to be honest.

You should be, there are some very capable graduates coming out of UK courses - you only have to look down this forum listing to see one such university thread (Hertfordshire) ;)

If your work is good, then you'll have more luck. You shouldn't have any problem getting an interview here if you're located in Denmark since EU folks are free to move around.
  • Bering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bering polycounter lvl 7
    Oh there are definitely a lot of skilled people coming from universities - and those will definitely be strong competitors. I am more thinking of the over-all level art-students are at. Not only in the UK, but also in the rest of Europe. Even in my country alone, most "art-students" end up unemployed. Luckily not from the university I'm at. It's extremely difficult to get accepted, as you need a strong portfolio - also, they only take 25 people in, each year, at the study I'm in.

I think my work is good enough for a job, I'd say. However it is of course hard to define, what's good and what's not. Especially in an industry as fast moving, as the games industry.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    post up your portfolio, you never know who my be going through this thread...maybe a potential employer..
  • Bering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bering polycounter lvl 7
    I'll definitely post my portfolio on PC once it's finished. I've often found a lot of inspiring work here, so even if it's not for work - it's useful for good feedback. As I still have a year until I graduate I probably won't have all the content until then, but I'll post some along the way.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Or... you could just post your work, like pictures or something.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rule #1: Portfolios are never finished!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's odd that I don't see the flipside of that advice given to people with all realistic portfolios. There's a lot of non-realistic work out there, get on that! How is that a faux pas anyway?

Portfolio web sites actually have to be made, perhaps that's what the OP meant :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, it definitely goes both ways. Be versatile so doors aren't closed to you.

I don't have hard numbers but it certainly feels like there's less competition in the stylized space. If you're already open to the idea of moving to another country for work, why not look at the rest of the EU and Canada?

The thing about not even being able to apply to jobs in the US sounds a bit wrong to me but I have no experience with that, maybe someone else with more knowledge could chime in.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I might be competing with hundreds of local artists. But don't forget - universities are spitting out artists now a days, with skills so poor, they don't live up to the industry standards. So I am not worried about the local competition to be honest.

not sure why this part pissed me off so much, it just seems a bit pretentious I guess...anyway, dont forget that a lot of artists in the UK never graduated a game art course so to judge the talent pool by graduate work alone is a mistake.

Just so I don't come across as a complete prick heres game dev map it's not hugely up to date, but it should be current enough for you to see whats available in the UK to aid your search :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    seth. wrote: »
    not sure why this part pissed me off so much, it just seems a bit pretentious I guess...anyway, dont forget that a lot of artists in the UK never graduated a game art course so to judge the talent pool by graduate work alone is a mistake.

Yeah. To be honest I haven't seen many game artist jobs for graduates in the uk, every time I applied for a job when I was a graduate they were looking for someone with at least one or two years experience even for quite low level roles. I even applied for some roles after having more than a year of industry experience and still found the competition very fierce.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Studios like the one I'm at require everyone to be versatile in their particular area of expertise, so as a 3D artist I go from characters to environments, weapons and vehicles, to creting shaders or even making small maxscript tools to make work a bit easier. So don't limit yourself by only aiming for a type of studio that does only a type of game, that's where you're sorely mistaken and will be narrowing your chances of getting a job before you have even left education.

I have to agree with Seth and Ged on this one. Competition will always be there.