Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A small warrior - wip

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Nemo polycounter lvl 3
This is my current school project.
Modeling the highpoly first, then ill be making it into an ingame character.

ill post updates here as i progress.

most recent update:

first_render_by_lightchii-d6yapey.jpg

(see latest post for more information)

Replies

• Nemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemo polycounter lvl 3
    I blocked out the shape of the pants and shoes.

im just missing blocking out the small bags she's going to carry in her belt, and the planes for the hair.

going to keep working at the pants and sleeves for now.
  • Nemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemo polycounter lvl 3
    Okay, so im just done with the sleeves and starting with the pants and shoes. The other decorations and the extra piece of fabric are currently hidden :)
    she will also get some small leather bags attached to her belt.

wip3_zpsee9a834f.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Might be a good idea to play around with the folds some more, especially with the pants.

Just took this from google images to illustrate my idea, but you see how they sorta sag horizontally as well as vertically? Currently your set looks very rigid. Especially with the puffy-ness of those sorts of garments, you're going to want some pretty intense folds around the area.

It does seem like you're rather proficient with folds, but just in case you were going to retain the sorta flow seen in your latest screenshot, I thought I'd post this.

scoutsculpt5b.jpg
  • Nemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemo polycounter lvl 3
    Yay, my first polycount critique :D
    I think im on the right track now? (though it needs refinement)

wip4_zps1763ad7a.jpg

dont mind the belt and the fabric on the back, or the lowpoly hands. im getting there shortly~
  • mkZ3R0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion you made to many folds which results in a unbelievable look of the fabric. For example, there are lots of fine folds in the crook of the arm, but the rest of the fabric doesn't fold that easily anymore and looks stiff.

Folds are really hard as you always have to consider the materials stiffness. In order to fix your folds I would choose a much stiffer fabric and gather lots of references about it. Also watch some tutorials about how to paint or sculpt folds as your not the first artist to learn this.

Try to use a diamond shaped gradient to sculp the rough shapes of your folds. It looks like your using the standard brush.

Diamond_gradient.jpg
  • Nemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemo polycounter lvl 3
    oh, i see. and yes, i use the standard brush and the clay buildup mostly. Ill try to correct this tomorrow, got a deadline today but i can still make modifications and remake a lot before i start the retop.

why do you recommend the other brush for folds though?
    And where do you find the amount of folds too much?

the shirt is silk cotton mix, there is linen under it, the inner drape is cotton, and the corset is silk and cotton on top of leather.
    The pants are of thick linen silk.

Now shes only missing a head-decoration, a small bag and a weapon :D and the modifications to the folds, and a little on the shoes...

last update for today:

wip5_zps9cb484f2.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice work. That's a lot better!

Personally, I'm not sure if you should use such a thick looking material for her sleeves. As it stands, they're very distracting in the sense that they sorta.. curve down. It may go against your design, but I suggest that you go back and rework this.

The model is definitely being held back by the sleeves. Silk and cotton probably wouldn't be this thick. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

59plq.png
  • Nemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemo polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you n__n I took this advice very seriously, and reworked the design a bit. I am sad to let go of the sleeves, but it might have been too ambitious for my first try. I'll stick with what i have and make it perfect instead!

I fixed some anatomy mistakes and added new sleeves, and refined some details.

Making a pouch, fixing sleeves and making the shoes shine now. Need to work more on the pants. All that is missing is her head-accessory :)

wip6_zps2919c9dd.jpg
  • Nemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemo polycounter lvl 3
    Update, i got a green light to continue the work and make a lowpoly :)
    Next update wont be until ive made the lowpoly and added texture.
    wwip1_zps73c3dc25.jpg
    wwip2_zpsdfaa7038.jpg
  • Nemo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemo polycounter lvl 3
    struggling with textures, but making progress :)

i have learned a lot, and realize i need to restart the model to be satisfied with the result later. but i would like to polish it as much as possible!

this is the work ive done so far:

first_render_by_lightchii-d6yapey.jpg

she lacks her ponytail and some better hair textures, her coat and some reworking on the normal map for the hands and thicker linen materials (they turned out kinda funny and edgy after baking them...sadly).
    need to fix the gold lines too, theyre too messy.

im still working on the materials and textures to get them right as well ;)

any other constructive criticism i could use for now? :)
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Work on separating that spec so that the materials find their own definition. I'd love to see a side on view, because I feel like she is missing a jaw line.
    Other than that, kudos on your progress! There are some really good things going on.