Home General Discussion

Idea for a project - Noir diorama. Just looking for advice before I start

Hi, I have a project for uni where im going to create a small diorama and render it in UDK

I originally did a had painted house, but thought it was too boring so Ive thought of a new idea.

I want to do a noir type scene, so black and white and set in a 1950's city. I want to do it in a low poly stylized way so the characters for example will just basically be trench coats with the hats (fedoras?) on, and black faces with white eyes. I want to have any blood in the scene be bright red and stand out, similar to sin city.

I was either going to do a murder mystery type scene, where theirs different objects around the scene, and chalk outlines, detectives etc. and Instead of it just telling a story you would have to look at the clues to find out what happened.

My 2nd idea was just to have different things going on in the scene. So there could be a gunfight with officers and a gang, and in the nearby alley someone is getting mugged or something, and maybe add the murder scene, but just the chalk outline and random blood stains etc.

I just wanted to know a few things before I start.

Would trying to do the first idea be too difficult with just a static scene?

Whats the best way to do the textures? Is it to paint them all shades of grey? or use colour but use grey filters in UDK.

Do you think the project is interesting?

I didn't put this in pimping and previews because I might not even start it its just an idea atm.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like it could be a great project. I'd think as long as you think out your visual story telling with how things are arranged in the environment and can get the poses and gestures of your characters working well, there's no reason why either of the options couldn't work well.

I don't see any reason why you'd want to texture in colour if the final result is going to be black and white. You'll just be creating extra work for yourself, and it'll likely make if more difficult to control the contrasts of your details well which is going to be extremely important in a scene like this.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what you do with this.
  • Fidrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been looking for references, trying to to find medium sized buildings with the flat roofs and the stair entrance to the top. I want quite dodgy looking buildings with dark alleys, like something you would see out of batman.

Been looking on Google maps but cant find what I want so far.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fidrik wrote: »
    Do you think the project is interesting?

You should watch some film noir before trying to do a "film noir" diorama. You have a lot of cliches that don't really represent what film noir was about. Its way cooler than detective stories.

But anyhoo, this might help. Photos by Weegee:
    weegee-photographs.jpg

Weegee-23.jpg

Weegee%202.23.12.jpg