Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chainsaw Basement

This is a project I have been working on for Halloween. Inspired by the film 'Texas Chainsaw massacre' I created a horror scene called 'Chainsaw Basement'. From working on this scene I have learned an awful lot, modelling, texturing and especially the lighting. The lighting was tricky to set up because I didn't want it to be too bright or too dark. Especially with it being a horror scene I wanted to set an eerie mood, but without making it totally black. I also wanted to render it on an angle to give the shot a more interesting look so you can only see a snippet of a room.

The candle light gives a dim but orange glow so you start to look around to see all the hidden details, like the eyeball on the chopping board. I had to work with the candle light without it overpowering the focal point.
In the middle I have square lighting coming into the room to look like an open door, the shadow in the middle makes you wonder who is there....Can you work out who it's supposed to be?

http://victoriagoldsmith.blogspot.co.uk/
http://victoriagoldsmith.co.uk/
http://victoriagoldsmith.carbonmade.com/

Replies

• Jorvid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I take it from the bin labeled 'Body Parts', that he's a very well organized psychopath.

Definitely way too bright if you're going for the eerie mood. Try dimming the room, and try emphasizing the candle light more.

Would love to see some wireframe renders and a polycount too.
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    I agree with Chillydog12345 andJorvid, and I would also say that you should add variation through use of light color, as well as darkening the scene. Try using less normal information and push your texture sizes and add more subtle color variation to the textures. It looks good for a 3dsMax\Maya render :)
  • ToriaGold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was modelled in Maya just to clear things up ;)
    My bump maps are a bit off, it was the first time I had really used the texture maps properly. But with some research I am more familiar with the different types and I will use my new knowledge with my next project.

I guess if you are a psychopath you need to be sort of organized!

With the lighting it was a bit of a struggle because I have never really been taught how to do it, but practice makes perfect right?

When I made the lights darker it hid all the models and textures which I had worked so hard on. What I should of done is perhaps worked out the lighting earlier on then worked around it. But that is something I will know to do next time...

I will post some wireframes and reference when I get the chance!
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    the lighting looks too flat imo. Everything in your scene is light almost evenly. This scene could use more shadows
    I hope this helps!