Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Level Designer

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Murasam polycounter lvl 11
Hello all I am a level designer currently enrolled in college. I just started working on my portfolio. But my first level piece is done. And here it is. I will post the works in progress picture

382888b4ce799f4fa9b7ac3d7f04c6b0?AccessKeyId=81276977DF97F1939345&disposition=0

Replies

• djgardner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd personally start using an engine and assembling your levels in there. Get to know the engine and such. Marmoset isn't the best choice for that. haha
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I would recommend working in UDK or Cry Engine and getting to know them. Marmoset is awesome, but its more for artists to show off their work rather than building a complete environment in it.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    Same as above.
    Modeling/texturing and composition looks good. But in the scene, you'r missing AO and everything seems abit dark, so cant enjoy the details.
    Lil more work and you'll love what you have.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also just thought I would point out (before I know from person experience) do you want to be a level designer or environment artist? Because the two are quite different. You piece above is leaning more towards an environment art portfolio piece than level design.
  • mkZ3R0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should tweak your normal an specular maps. The normal map looks to bumpy, especially on the wall, tiles on the floor in front of the door and the wood. Specularity and Glossiness seems overall to equal, give the individual materials more contrast and seperate the general scene into its materials.

Further more you could place some decals like leaking and the likes. And yes, the scene seems to missing Ambient Occlusion which is obligatory for environment.

Keep on tuning the scene, I wish would've had such a scene in my portfolio back in the days.
  • Murasam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for all the feedback. I originally had it in UDK but I couldn't get the lighting to work like I wanted to. I tried some double sided shader things and wasn't really working. Maybe some tips on how to do this scene. Because its underground scene it does prove challenging for lighting. Any input wouldbe greatly appreciated on that topic. @ Mat effect good point I believed this was mistitled thank you for pointing that out. @mkZ3R0 When i was tweaking the maps I felt I ws loosing depth on the wall maybe going into another rendering engine will help that stand up better?
  • Murasam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello sorry for the MIA status. It's been a busy year.Here's a prop I did.
    [URL="javascript:;"]javascript:;[/URL]
  • Murasam
  • Murasam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure how this thing works.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    Don't ever put WIP work on your folio. If you want to show off your work process, create a LDD or a variation of one that is more like an article and document the process of creating a whole level as well as your thoughts.

Currently you also really seem to do more Environment Art instead of Level Design.

Marmoset is still not a good choice to show off work as a Level Designer. Pick up CE3, UE4 or Unity and build small and big scenes with those.

Also check out mapcore.org and worldofleveldesign.com because that's really more focused on LD then polycount is :)
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Level Design is more about scripting and gameplay nowadays. You don't get to make levels look beautiful. At least not in big studios. If you did the models, textures and lighting you should consider yourself an environment artist.

If however level design is indeed what you're aiming for then you need to put complete playable levels on your portfolio to show you got what it takes to finish something and demonstrate your proficiency in scripting and designing interesting gameplay.
  • Murasam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info. Yea I mistyped when I originally made the thread. I also agreed with putting this in an engine but that will have to wait for now.