Home General Discussion

Canada - the promised land!

So, Canada tends to be talked about a lot over here (Denmark) because of their booming games industry.

So I was wondering, is it scary for Canadian companies to hire people from out of Canada? Do they tend not to hire people out of Canada?

Is there something you should definitely do/not do if you want to work in the Canadian games industry? Is it better to already be in Canada when looking for jobs there?

Any people here that made the grand move, and have any advice for a starry eyed fan of Canada?

Visa's are hard, and it seems pretty impossible to get one without a job beforehand, so I'm looking for any advice or do's&don'ts before plunging into bureaucratic hell.

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Like any job abroad, you should probably get some experience to make sure they'll even consider you. I don't think many companies even consider hiring juniors from abroad in times like these.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    When i was in Highschool... i remember Canada had a boom to pay people to move to live there. I know friends family that left for Canada. But things are very different now. You have to have a working visa, which you can get without a job offer, but a job offer is not on the table unless you have a working visa hahaha

It sucks. I know i applied to several places on Canada a long time ago and had replies like that.

Dunno how you can get around that loophole tho.

But yea... Canada has tons of good studios.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Canada really isn't 'booming' either, that's 5-7 years in the past.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i'd agree that some years of work experience are usually required before companies will bother organising visa (and paying for relocation overseas!).

in case denmark doesn't have the opportunities right now, at least you should be able to get around in the EU rather easily for the time being.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Visa's are hard, and it seems pretty impossible to get one without a job beforehand

Seeing that you're from Denmark it's probably easier to just immigrate. But you have the best restaurant in the world! (according to Anthony Bourdain).

According to this latest industry survey (pdf pg 37, actual doc page 35) http://theesa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ESAC-Video-Games-Profile-2013-FINAL-2013-10-21-CIRC.pdf it can take you 13 weeks to have your work visa processed.
    The demand for talent is set to increase significantly among video game companies in Canada over the next 12-24 months. In particular, the demand for intermediate level talent in creative and technical employment categories will increase significantly. Indeed, the video game industry is expecting to hire a total of approximately 432 intermediate level creative positions and 421 intermediate level technical positions. When taken in aggregate, the industry is looking to fill approximately 2,184 positions within the next 12-24 months. While this figure represents roughly 13% of the existing workforce, it should be noted that not all of these expected hires will be additive. Rather, many are likely to be hired from within the existing video game industry workforce.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Something to keep in mind is that the reason why many of these game studios are booming is because of tax breaks from the Government. Tax breaks like this are usually set up to encourage employing locals.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subsidies are primarily determined on the provincial level, as far as the entertainment industry is concerned anyway.

Quebec and Ontario are pretty hot right now hiring wise. Province like Alberta where original Bioware is located don't give a damn about the film or game industry as far as granting subsidies 'cuz their oil reserves are projected to last for over a 100 years. So their focus is on the energy corps and supporting industries like construction.

If you're a noob and don't have a problem living on an island, Halifax studios have been ramping up for the last couple of years. Racism have been in the national news though: http://www.ccla.org/rightswatch/2013/05/28/racial-discrimination-in-nova-scotia-leons-halifax-fire-department-and-zellers/ so if you're sensitive about that it's something to consider if it's the right place for you.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I'm a Brazilian with a Canadian work permit here in Montr
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Sometimes i'd like to leave here and go to Denmark, i guess the grass looks greener in other people's yard.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish that getting into Canada in the next 10 years to be less easy, Until i get enough experience:D
    fonfa wrote: »
    I'm a Brazilian with a Canadian work permit here in Montr
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still lots of hiring going on in Vancouver: http://vfxvancouver.com/

Was surpised to see on linkedIn recently one of my former co-workers now with ILM Vancouver (since when did ILM set shop over there?). Dude was a programmer who took the 1 yr VFS 3D program.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea lots of people here at ubi from all around the world, makes it an awesome place to work.
  • Taamalus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canada is a huge country, with different cultures per region. I would not move here just for a job. You live 168 hours and work 40 hours per week. Come first, see the land, if it suits your personality, stay. I never liked Vancouver let alone Calgary and finally settled in Toronto.

One sample of my fav city
    http://www.rockstargames.com/jobs/openings/rockstar-toronto
  • Elisabet.YA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey wow thanks you guys. Awesome advice from everyone.

I'll definitely be polishing my portfolio and try to get some experience closer first, but honestly the industry isn't looking too hot around here. I'll probably try to squeeze myself in sneakily somehow. Or not so sneakily.

Thanks for the fantastic advice!
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been moved from Belgium to Montreal 8 months ago.
    The company took care of almost everything. It all went quite smooth, but this was because it is hard for companies in Canada to find technical artist.

They try not to get international people and hire Canadians first. If they really can't find them, they will look for international people.

This is how I understood it ... I could be wrong.

The laws also changed recently, making it much harder for artists to get a work permit. But this is a rumor I heard, so no hard evidence from my side.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    the visa is MUCH easier than America.
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    There was quite a large hire influx, however those studios are now quite well established. I think you might be wrapping one set of information with another -- Our mobile marketplace is booming there are quite a few prosperous Indy studios too but for hiring rate it's still as cut-throat as the rest of the world. LOTS of competition.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Canadian here. They engage Foreign senior not junior, they already have enough (not to say TOO much) student here to fill the junior spot. they don't need foreign to steal job that our student need.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    they took our jerb!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I know that Montreal is strange in regards to relocation.

At the moment, only Ubisoft and Gameloft seem to be hiring non-local cantidates, the rest seem to be poaching incestuously from other studios, or applicants offering to relocate themselves.

I think a few Senior positions they might consider relocating someone from within Canada if an exhaustive local search doesn't yield any suitable candidates.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    What Jacque said! :) I've seen people being relocated by Bioware too, but mostly Gameloft and Ubisoft.

There's also some companies in other provinces like Prince Edward Island that might hire people overseas. Give it a shot! http://www.candevs.ca/atlantic.html
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    I'm a student from Belgium currently doing an internship in Montr
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    after looking at the visa requirements and being a degenerate modder turned artist with no degree marrying my Canadian girlfriend seems like the far more simple option, there's less paperwork for one.

I do think its stupid the way these companies bandy round wherever they get subsidies, which never last then they just move onto the next country.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would be great to put a list from all studios who hire from overseas.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Boban wrote: »
    Would be great to put a list from all studios who hire from overseas.

This has been posted countless times, but...

http://www.gamedevmap.com/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Torch wrote: »
    This has been posted countless times, but...

http://www.gamedevmap.com/

a good starting point but seems to be 2-3 years out of date in some areas
  • Tusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which is best places to live and work in Canada? As a 3D animator, Vancouver, Edmonton (BioWare) Toronto and Montreal, are 4 cities when we can live and work as far i follow the trends.

So, which on is better than the others? Which one is more safe? I know every city have problems with criminals, drug dealers etc. But which one can you suggest?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tusk

Having lived in all except Montreal I'd say if you just use common sense you'll do okay.

Best city for you? I recommend actually visiting each city (but not in winter) and factor in your career (cost of living vs expected salary, etc) and lifestyle choices (are you gay, you like outdoors a lot, you like crowded downtown, etc).

If you're just relying online for info try checking the internet versions of local news media (just google) to give you a current snap shot of crime news.

But like I said, use common sense and you're fine. You get mugged....just give your stuff. No mma skillz gonna save your life if you get stabbed in the back and get punctured lungs.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Montreal's rent is very affordable. I pay ~$800/month for a nice sized 2 bedroom with hot water, stove and fridge included, but, smaller places can easily be found for ~500.

Though... staying in Montreal past the end of the work permit limit is a bit more difficult. (Quebec has special extra rules on immigration)
  • Tusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MagicSugar

Hmmm. I don't like really Montreal because of the French and additional rules.
    For me,
    i don't care about weather for example, i like hot summers, and winters with or without snow.
    I want to live closer to area with a lot of markets, especially food markets. I always cook at home anything i want. Rather than eating outside. Some day i might decide to eat outside, but it is very rare.
    I don't care about condo. Just want to have place to for my pc to work, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom.
    For salary well, i want fair salary if it's possible?

I only care about crime in city. I know every city has a crime, but the more someone avoid the better for him/her.
    Have you worked at Vancouver or Toronto? Can you tell me something about it? All i know that Vancouver is damn expensive.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tusk wrote: »
    @MagicSugar
    I only care about crime in city. I know every city has a crime, but the more someone avoid the better for him/her.
    Have you worked at Vancouver or Toronto? Can you tell me something about it? All i know that Vancouver is damn expensive.

I have worked in Vancouver and Toronto. They're both good cities if you're into big city life and want to experience big multi-cultural communities.

You can counter expensive Vancouver if you're willing to live in cheaper suburbs and take public transportation to work. Same in Toronto. Or share condo with others.

You shouldn't really be paranoid with random crime cuz number 1 there's no huge gun culture here like in the States. There ARE drug gangs with guns but they'll only kill you if you mess with their business or their girls.

Once you actually move into any city you'll find out quickly anyway which neighborhoods to avoid. Just ask people who lived their already.