Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ears...They hate me

I'm covering some of Scott Eaton's works,but decided to take a little break from study in hopes to assess what I've learned through some sculpting practices. I've done done 3 consecutively each day up till yesterday where I found myself needing a rest to look at the busts in a more critical tone.

My main issue that I'm tagging at the moment are ears. I just can't seem to find a nice way to create them for usage. I've Dynameshed them onto the sculpt and crudely shaped it all,but I don't want to skip out on anything. I know that there's a bunch of cartilage in that area that extends outward, but masking things off with the move tool always gives me this nasty embossed areas in the back of the ear...Found out that was culling on the brush.

The upward passage is just something I'll have be able to work along with, but there are those thin sheets of skin that curl and curve inward that I just can't seem to work in without doing something "drastic".

d9DGw2n.jpg
1DM7wkN.jpg
EuxiUu0.jpg

I made a time-lapse of my experience.If there are any suggestions to my predicament, I'd great appreciate the feedback. Hell,I'd enjoy feedback on the entire thing.

Time-Lapse
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtre3X1ZDtw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtre3X1ZDtw[/ame]

Replies

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Lips and ears are most difficult for me. I personally have been using this guideline.
    Reference_Ear_02.jpg
  • darknessbear
    Nice image PyrZern! Is there any for lips? They drive me nuts...
  • Melodeus
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Lips and ears are most difficult for me. I personally have been using this guideline.
    Reference_Ear_02.jpg

You have given to me what I'd consider cake. Thank you so much for this detailed and creative reference. It's one of the many ways I choose to remember...I'm sure a lot of other people do the same. Thank you, PyreZern!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, no easy guide for lips that I have found. I usually do this one like Ryan Kingslien.
    Starting at 1:40
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSW6ALspyZI"]Anatomy of the Face: The Mouth - YouTube[/ame]
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    From the timelapse it seems like you are just scratching on the surface of a mesh, making lines and then building up slight convex or concave mounds that follow the lines.

Basically this leaves you working in two-dimensions, you might as well be drawing on paper. That is why when you turn your model, your ear is still flat to the head without any depth.

Instead of lines, try to think of mass. Instead of drawing a perfect line in one view, draw an imperfect mass that makes up the whole of the ear first, then use more mass to hollow it out - try to think of overall shapes with volume instead of individual lines.

Also, use way fewer subdivs when you're working at such a basic level. You should be able to easily see the polygons you are working with.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    When looking at your head sculpt from the side, the ear decently looks like an ear. However, when you look at it straight from the front or from behind, the ear sits completely flush with the head, which is incorrect.

Take a look at this image and see how far the ears come away from the head:
    http://www.123rf.com/photo_1535926_bald-head.html
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    ears? it shouldnt take more than 2-3 seconds...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPezIU0c4zc"]mudbox_ear.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    MM wrote: »
    ears? it shouldnt take more than 2-3 seconds...

mudbox_ear.mp4 - YouTube

Omg cheat!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG! That ear vid !
  • Melodeus
    Ysalex, I definitely see what you're referring to. It makes perfect sense after a good sleep. I've seen people pull the mass directly from the area of the head and always felt uncomfortable doing so, but I'll try so again in a new direction. I'll do my best to keep the complexity of my mesh levels low until it's needed also. Thank you very much for the feedback!

DemonPrincess, That is one of the main issues I've always noticed about things, but had no clue of how to tackle. I'm a bit fearful of ears, but sitting around isn't going to accomplish things. I'm going to become a bit more accustomed to the actual whole of the ear for. Thank you so much for the reference and feedback.

MM, WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT?! But seriously though, is that one of the functions that allow for you to make a copy of the area as a brush?

I'll be sculpting and possibly loading a new progression today, taking all of your advice in account that is. : >
  • Melodeus
    Hey guys. Apologies for taking so long. Was catching up in Volumetrics.

qIHOAxM.jpg

pzoOt9c.jpg

E9PQeTU.jpghttp:

Just used a square tool, sculpted the ear and grafted it on with Dynamesh. It looks ok, but I'd like some feedback if you all didn't mind. I'm also going to expose myself to retopology a bit more, so does anyone have any good sources for topology practice?
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    If you're working in dynamesh you can easily sculpt an ear out of a thin cylinder and then merge it with the head, that's usually how I do it.

I don't know if someone already told you about the "backface" issue, but in ZBrush you can avoid that by activating the BackFaceMask option of any brush in the Brush panel, Auto Masking sub panel. This will prevent the brush to move the vertices on the back of what you're sculpting when the faces are too close to each other ( so you can sculpt both sides of a really thin object ).

Ears look hard at the begining, but honestly, once you know the basic structure, it's always the same. And generally nobody notices if the ear is not perfect ( plus, they are generally covered ).
  • Melodeus
    Texelion wrote: »
    If you're working in dynamesh you can easily sculpt an ear out of a thin cylinder and then merge it with the head, that's usually how I do it.

I don't know if someone already told you about the "backface" issue, but in ZBrush you can avoid that by activating the BackFaceMask option of any brush in the Brush panel, Auto Masking sub panel. This will prevent the brush to move the vertices on the back of what you're sculpting when the faces are too close to each other ( so you can sculpt both sides of a really thin object ).

Ears look hard at the begining, but honestly, once you know the basic structure, it's always the same. And generally nobody notices if the ear is not perfect ( plus, they are generally covered ).

That's the exact method I used to pair the ears with the head that I created. for this scene. I had the backface issue last year and found myself browsing around for an answer and that definitely helped. Was near impossible to do anything before with the brush clipping through and moving unwanted geometry. They frightened me before, but now, they seem pretty simple.
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Heres a technique for starting ears, that was always my issue with them. also its a quick way to make an ear shaped placeholder so you can get back to the face.

Curve tube a ear-like curl, move it into place, inflate out the top, dynamesh and carve out the inside, inflate is very handy for the lobe and helix.

Best way to get good with ears is just to make loads of them!

V11Eon5.jpg

Also some general handy reference:
    603277_322926277806528_931210879_n.jpg
    208511_391101894322299_1341002620_n.png