Home Technical Talk

Can't Start the Gun Show With Bad Topology

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Shadow2Matrix polycounter lvl 8
Hey Guys, Im working on a colt 45 and I some of my parts are attached. Is floating geometry acceptable in the industry? The hammer slot is detached because if I Connect it, it will give me this nasty NGon I just couldn't get rid of. So I detached it, deleted extra verts and reattached it. Is that okay? Here's some pics
The NGon Shot, one with the fix, and one completed.

Replies

• repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    surely it is not an n-gon once the complete mesh has been triangulated !
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    Need more geometry :
    em77.jpg
    One loop at the back to support the internal cut for the hammer channel.
    Two loops along the length to support both sides of the slide, you can also change the flow of these to be one continuous loop like the front on the back.
  • Shadow2Matrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadow2Matrix polycounter lvl 8
    Hey @Repete It was a good suggestion and considered it if I couldn't problem solve correctly because It will ultimately triangulate but I wanted to do some High poly smoothing to a copy so I can bake the AO/Normals into this one.

@RedRogue, thanks for the reference, it helped. I was scared to add topo. Don't know if it was too much or too little but I had to get around the top middle edge. Ill show in the ref pic # 2 why it was giving me a hard time but I couldnt connect to the middle loop but I solved it by looking at yours and how it connects at the bottom.. it did need extra loops and now its all quaded. I also planned to make a sci fi version and I looked at some of your work and I saw sci fi concepts, they were awesome! How did you come about those??
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    If this is your High polygon mesh, add as many edge loops as you need, but try and keep it manageable and efficient!

For the slide, I would start off with one high sided cylinder for the best smoothing along the top then remove the bottom half and add the boxy bottom. Starting with high sides makes it easier to cut out details like the ejection port by arranging edge loop points instead of manually assigning vertices.

For the rear of the pistol slide, think of it as a flat canvas, draw out the edge loop flow that you want, then skew the vertices so that they fit the side profile.

If your referring to my recent work in my sketchbook thread as sci fi concepts, you are mistaken, as I have only been making reproductions of real firearms lately. For actual concept designs, deviantart has quite a few, from artists like MrBrainz, Daisuke Kazama, KoeiX2 and dfacto