Home Technical Talk

Creature modeling pipeline!?

You've gotta help me, fair folk of this realm!

I need to create a creature from scratch for an assignment.
I use Maya and Zbrush
My initial plan was to both start and complete the high-res in Zbrush via ZSpheres + ZSketch + Unified Mesh until finishing sculpting, and then retopo it to a low-res from scratch with 3D Coat or Maya's new tools. ZSpheres and ZSketch seem difficult to control however when creating the initial major forms for the sculpt from scratch.

My uncertainty in approaching this lays in the fact that I have seen many people approaching things like this with a low poly base mesh in Maya/Max to establish the rough proportions and silhouette first, and then bring it into Zbrush. Is this the "proper" way to approach creature modeling?

I am also unclear on whether or not sub tools will be necessary for this project, and how to approach them if they are. The creature I am creating will be very similar to this: 2013-08-12%2865741%29_creature_Beast.jpg

Would this be one single mesh/sculpt? When is it necessary for something to be a sculpt subtool and/or seperate mesh for the low poly for something like this?

Your input is greatly appreciated, lets get this thread on a roll so it helps others too.

Replies