Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Zbrush sculpt WIP!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
WolfGrizzly polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone, this is my first Zbrush sculpt WIP, and I would love
for all of you talented guys and gals to give me some thoughts and critique! It would be much appreciated. As of right now, I have not done much work on the hands or ears, and also the legs. As you can see, they don't exist yet. Also, I have not broken symmetry yet, as I would like some feedback before I get into asymetrical detailing. Thanks

103elcgjpg
2vl4c9tjpg
oazyubjpg
xmuxrqjpg
2z5pwkxjpg

Replies

• ElliotB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElliotB polycounter lvl 6
    Hello Wolf! There is some really good stuff in here, I can tell you know a bit about anatomy. There are some areas I wanted to bring to your attention however. I did a very crude paint over your torso, one thing is I feel bringing out the lower oblique more will help give your torso more definition. Also in this image I blocked out the other muscle shapes and a guideline to how the rib cage curves in.

Secondly I did some blocking in on your back, you have a lot of stuff going on in the back and I think if you simplify it a bit you can make it look a bit more realistic. You have most of the muscle placements correct, but I do want you to notice the bottom of your back, you need a depression near the crack of the butt, this is called the Sacral Triangle. Where right now your lats are connecting directly to your gluteus maximus which is not accurate. I also attached an image of a males back so you can see this triangle.

Lastly in your front render I feel there are just too many striations in the chest and realistically only heavy body builders flexing their chest will make this amount of detail pop out from their bodies. So I would perhaps think about smoothing some if not most of those striations out. Overall your on the right track and just need some minor tweaks, keep up the good work!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice skin painting/texture! Only crit I have at the moment is that I don't really understand what is happening with the ear and right behind it. The eat looks unfinished and chewed up and behind the ear it almost looks like what happens with baking artifacts. Look forward to more
  • WolfGrizzly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WolfGrizzly polycounter lvl 9
    ElliotB, Thank you so much for the awesome crit! I see what you are saying with simplifying the back. I loved doing all the detail and it's tough when you realize you have to cover some of it up haha. I'll def fix the lats and add in the Sacral Triangle and downplay the chest a bit. Thanks for the paintovers and critique, I'll get to work on making corrections and pushing this model further!

KrisaW, Thanks alot! As for the ear, I havent done much work on it and did a really rough pass. I need to get some refs and study how the ear is formed. As for the weird geo behind the ear, it's just a crease that needs to be smoothed out after I did some masking and moved the ear a bit. Thanks again for the crit!
  • ElliotB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElliotB polycounter lvl 6
    WolfGrizzly I hear you, I have had the same issue where I start getting excited in a sculpt and really sculpt in those details. But then I show my instructor and he practically slaps me upside the head, its true though if your aiming for realism we need to understand that there is a layer of fat and skin tissue that drapes over all those bulging muscles :(

Either way, keep us posted on your updates.