Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Alley

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Sythen polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've worked on any environment work, so forgive me - after spending the last month or so doing strictly web design, you tend to get a bit rusty.
After finding that college is coming to a close, and my day job giving me less work this time of year, I've decided to begin working on a horror game concept I've kept tucked inside my head for 6 years, entitled DarkAmbience.

For now, I won't say much about DarkAmbience only that I've started development on it, but this project is going to be a massive undertaking. The game will be based obviously on Unreal Engine, but more importantly it is a one-man project. It is my baby, and hopefully a project that will consume me :)

So far I've started working on the first map, an Alleyway. For now, I've made my master materials, set up some preliminary scene lighting using emissives from windows and lights in the area, and I'm now working on finishing the blockout.

As always, comments and critiques requested, though keep in mind this is still early stages.

WIP_High_01.jpg
WIP_High_02.jpg
WIP_High_03.jpg
WIP_High_04.jpg

- Sy.

Replies

• Sythen
    Offline / Send Message
    Resolved some textures, created more dDo presets and started working on blocking out the environment some more.

WIP_High_05.jpg
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm really loving the feel of this. It's sort of creepy, in the way that a lot of older brick buildings can be, so you're totally nailing that.

Here's a picture, from Newburyport, Massachusetts, that this sort of reminds me of: 8a0PHzH.jpg

Which leads me to the ground; I really love the contrast between the red brick, in that picture, and the grey stones of the ground. I think yours are a bit too tan. It doesn't stand out, colour-wise, quite enough. I'd suggest making the bricks a little redder too.
  • Sythen
    Offline / Send Message
    Some new shots, starting to work on the blocked out models, reworked the lighting, did some more color correction and added light functions.

WIP_High_06.jpg
    WIP_High_07.jpg
    WIP_High_08.jpg
    WIP_High_09.jpg
  • Sythen
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    I'm really loving the feel of this. It's sort of creepy, in the way that a lot of older brick buildings can be, so you're totally nailing that.

Here's a picture, from Newburyport, Massachusetts, that this sort of reminds me of: 8a0PHzH.jpg

Which leads me to the ground; I really love the contrast between the red brick, in that picture, and the grey stones of the ground. I think yours are a bit too tan. It doesn't stand out, colour-wise, quite enough. I'd suggest making the bricks a little redder too.

Thanks! :)

Will make the bricks more red.
  • SoulWind
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulWind polycounter lvl 11
    Some bump offset on the windows will stop them looking flat.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7N2QDCx7kY"]UDK: Bump offset material (faking interiors) - YouTube[/ame]

Don't know if they are placeholder but the texture on the stone/concrete trims under the window needs better material definition, it could very well be that a good normal map will save it, but the right spec would help too.

Everything is a bit rigid right now but I appreciate you're still blocking out. Look for ways to break up straight edges and perfect right angles where building and floor meets.

Keep it up!
  • Sythen
    Offline / Send Message
    I've already got Bump Offsets on the curtains, very difficult to tell within the screenshots. :)

Thank you for the video though ^^