Home General Discussion

Cheap Quiet Laptop Suggestions

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
barnesy polycounter lvl 9
Hey PC,

I am looking to buy a laptop to do some personal/freelance stuff on when at the gf's. I only really want to spend up to £350 on one as I will only really be using it one or 2 evenings a week and the occasional Sunday, as watching XFactor is draining my soul.

I am looking for a really quiet laptop so I can use it while others watch TV as my other one was on it's way out and sounded like a hair dryer lol

I only really need it for small tasks like basic zbrush sculpting, photoshop painting and 3d modelling, nothing too intense.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Replies

• barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Dustin.

My bad, I only meant like low sub divisions and small resolution painting, UV mapping etc, but I guess that would still take up a lot of juice.

My old laptop was a Dell , so I was just wondering if a different make one would have a quieter fan or if I would need to get a fairly decent laptop to reduce the noise? All I really have to go by is my Dad's HP laptop and that bloody thing sounds like a hurricane with windows running alone.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    barnesy wrote: »
    Thanks Dustin.

My bad, I only meant like low sub divisions and small resolution painting, UV mapping etc, but I guess that would still take up a lot of juice.

My old laptop was a Dell , so I was just wondering if a different make one would have a quieter fan or if I would need to get a fairly decent laptop to reduce the noise? All I really have to go by is my Dad's HP laptop and that bloody thing sounds like a hurricane with windows running alone.

Depends on the power setting. I would suggest whatever you choose get a Haswell i5. They consume less power and have better graphics than previous generation. Which with your price range, you're going to be stuck with.

I also have to agree with Dustin. I initially had the same idea as you when I bought a laptop. $1000 later and I got something I could actually work with. I would say bite the bullet and get like a Windows 8 tablet like the Surface 2. That way you don't have to cart a tablet as well, it will be quieter, lighter and smaller than a full laptop.

Edit: Also you can find replacement fans on ebay. You will have to take the laptop apart to replace. If you feel uncomfortable doing this, I assume you have a techy friend (knowing this industry) that might be able to do it for you.
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Inb4 someone tells you to get a PC ;)

I have a MSI GE70 and it's pretty sweet; runs ZBrush, max and CryEngine fine, even on high settings. And it's quiet. I picked it up for £900 new, about 8 months ago, which I realise is way over your budget, but you may be able to find it second hand or a lower spec version. I'd recommend MSI anyhow. Might be worth checking out sites like overclockers too.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    I'll agree with Badger on the MSI suggestion, I'd also recommend any sort of rebranded Clevo machine. Not sure how you'll go getting one for your price range though :(

Most of the sort of OEM machines that come as barebones kits are pretty good in that they are easy to maintain, hell, I don't even have to unscrew anything to pull the back cover off my Clevo, which makes it super easy to clean out the fan.