Home Technical Talk

rigging, skinning and rendering?

I think this two things are actually one the same but am I right?
I think skinning means to you aply vertexes to the bone, but I also think to rigging means that too, am I wrong?
Also what is rendering?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Skinning is typically just the act of attaching a mesh to a rig and painting the weights. Rigging as a term also includes things like setting up IK handles and other controls.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rigging is building the skeleton and systems that the animators will use.
    Things like setting up:
    • IK/FK blending on limbs.
    • Facial controls.
    • Motion capture integration
    • Rotation controllers for eyes and heads
    • Creating a final skeletons for the engine to use.
    • Creating the systems that blend and align the final skeleton to the other skeletons if there are any.
    • Setting up muscles, cloth and other dynamics.
    • Testing it and making sure it works properly and efficiently within the game, and on and on...
    Think of it as if you where creating the wires, joints and sticks for Pinocchio to move. You didn't carve out the puppet or paint it but you created the systems to bring it to life.

Skinning is binding the verts of a mesh to the various bones. Think of it like you where putting cloths on the puppet, they will follow along and deform however the underlying structure dictates.

Rendering is something totally separate from rigging and skinning.
  • HammerFist3D2D
    but what is rendering I know it is separated.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adding lights to the scene, setting up cameras, tweaking the render settings (Scanline, MentalRay, VRay, RenderMan ect...) and "rendering" out 2D images.

It normally isn't done in games, the rendering in games happens in the engine in "realtime".
  • HammerFist3D2D