Home Technical Talk

How to optimize models in Blender?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Estavos polycounter lvl 11
Hello. I used to use this method.
On the low-poly blank I added modifier "Subdivision Surface". This method is now no good for me, since lost the original geometry of the model. Recently, I learned about Declimate, but it breaks the map UV. Advise please plug-in or software for optimization.
I use Blender 2.63

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Optimization is usually happening with manually removing all the edged that doesn't change the silhouette. Or with creating a new "optimized by default" mesh. The most of the optimizer scripts would also mess up your uvs.
  • Estavos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Obscura, thanks. Very sadly =(
  • mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An polycounter lvl 5
    Switch to a new blender build. The decimate modifier has been greatly improved for 2.65 and does now preserve UVs. You can also try to use 'Un-Subdivide' in edit mode.
  • Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth
    Decimate is nice, but destroys the topology. Not to recommend for characters. Same counts for most other polygon reduction techniques.

I think you have more a general workflow problem. You have to work the other way around. Blow the mesh up where you need it, not reduce it for optimization. When you really want to reduce something then use retopology.

I´m an old box modeler. My workflow is that i model the low poly mesh first. This is both, the base for the high poly version, and also the final geometry. Then i use sculpting to create the high poly version for normalmap baking. Shrinkwrap is my friend to bring the surface of the low poly version closer to the surface of the high poly version then. Sculpting changes the spacing. And when done i start to unwrap the character and to bake the normalmap from the two meshes. This works fine for me.

The more common workflow nowadays though is to create a sculpt version first, then do a retopo to create the low poly version from. That way you have the best result and control :)

I think the plugin for retopo in Blender is called bsurface. You have to activate it in the addons section.
  • Estavos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Estavos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tiles, I creating low-poly base too. After I use Zbrush and xNormal.
  • Estavos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mAlkAv!An, where I can get SMD/DMX IO addon for new version?