Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Upcoming Sci-Fi Level

Hello there!

Recently I've been working on my own sci fi level which is still in the fairly early layout stages. I'm making everything in maya, and I kind of build as I go along- so as you'll see in the screenshots I've provided, some elements are more developed than others. I've even completed a couple of pieces for it already and one is well on the way.

Originally this was going to be a Jedi Academy homage, but that has quickly changed. I found that while I love the game and the Star Wars franchise, for it to be truly 'star wars' (I was going for an imperial base) it would need to be quite clean, and simplistic. As nice as that is, since I'm still fairly new to the world of games art, I felt the need to challenge myself, so ended up going in my own direction- one that involves a more gritty feel, with more detail. I've been taking a lot of inspiration from Warframe.

I'd like to show you all where I am with it so far, and get some tips from the pros. At the moment everything is very modular, so there's lots of duplicating going on (great for sci fi) however I'd like to break up the modularity a little, but I'm not sure how. Couple of unique assets perhaps to break up the composition, I'm open to all suggestions :) any asset ideas would be appreciated too! I don't want to make too many complicated things, I'd like to balance it with some simple objects like crates and perhaps weapon racks, again, suggestions are welcomed :) In a nutshell, it's a sci fi base inside a mountain that's used for some sort of power study/processing for advanced weaponry. Ok enough of the essay, here's the stuff:

The green block represents the scale of an average-joe human. As you can see, a lot of things are still very simple.
7jsqWjD.jpg

The walkways have lifts that would allow the player to get down to the main work floor.
CnUE2ym.jpg

The main work floor, at present. The thing in the middle is the big important thing of the level; the power source. Imagine that sphere in the centre is a glowy orb ball of wonder.
w2Smsjg.jpg

A view from above
4QmElS7.jpg

View of the top of the cavern- this section of the base is used to channel the energy from the power source up into another room in the base, which is used for something. I don't quite know what because I'm not making that part. Perhaps I will after this environment.
MOh0jaq.jpg

Average Joe at one of the computer consoles. The scale of them is a little off, I'm working on it. Also they're in their early stages, but they'll look awesome and have nice glowing monitors at some point.
nhFtmav.jpg

And a view of the whole thing from infinite space. Spot average joe! So from this you get the idea of the structure, it's fairly simple and cylindrical, but as I say, I'm going to find ways to make it look unique and not so repetitive.
88jwB67.jpg

Very soon I'll be doing paintover concepts of these to give you a better idea of what I want the final result to look like. It will all be rendered in real-time, in cryengine.

An incomplete piece that I'm currently working on.
q1YGeP2.jpg

For the walkways- please ignore the imperial emblem, this was done when it was still a star wars piece! I'll be getting rid of it.
pmRRDk9.jpg

JS9PqWe.jpg

tFkaYAR.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I have a lot to do! But it's been great fun so far. Any tips, suggestions and such would be hugely appreciated. I expect this to be pulled apart left right and center in the coming weeks but in the end something awesome will come of it :) thanks!

Replies

• Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice, love the stabilizer! Curious to see how ur gonna do the inside of the mountain, Keep it going! :)
  • MoonCactus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Well I really like how Bungie put together the rock faces for Destiny, using an overall shape then decorating it with 2-3 different rocks and rotating them around to create an interesting and realistic result :) I plan to do the inside of my mountain in a very similar way. Mini update, I'm creating rock supports for the cavern wall, to keep in place any potentially unstable rocks inside the mountain. They look flimsy and I'm revising the design at the moment, but this is how they're looking so far:

2crdBbB.jpg
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Cool environment and Love the floor panel! :P Was it baked from a high poly or did you make it in nDo2?
  • MoonCactus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, it was baked from hi poly :) I just love modelling sci fi stuff in maya :D update of the evening, a standard modular crate for the environment. Came up with the emblem as I was finishing off the design, I think I'll use it to provide a little background story behind the level.

dFwbCfJ.jpg
  • MoonCactus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the crate, moving on to something more challenging now, going to create a service robot for the level! Something like EVE from Wall-E but my own design. I'll post sketches as soon as I can

kZUIFEM.jpg
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    The crate looks very nice, but I would reduce the amount of surface noise in the diffuse and normal texture and leave those details in the specular map to make it look more metallic. The metal resembles more of a copper than a brushed steel/aluminum because of the surface wear. Hope that helps :)