Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Chris Kuhner polycounter lvl 6
Hello friends! I'm currently in the application process and was hoping to get your opinion, advice, critique of my current portfolio. I still have a few changes here and there I'd like to make within the Reel and I have more studies to add; but, I feel like this is a good place to get some solid feedback.

I started mainly as an animator, but have recently been pushing more towards character art. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated; a link to my website is below, thanks in advance!

Portfolio

Replies

• DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they're beautiful. Love the color. Love the design.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Great layout which is easy to follow. My only crit would be that your Batman shouldn't be in your animation reel since the movement is static. It got some good movement, but it's still a still!

I would also but something else then Batman as a first, I think that your other projects talks more clearly. The be honest (and this is from a guy that is kind of sick and tired of characters over all) I didn't really like the Batman at first, but the great movement saves it. I think it's the anatomy in his face that breaks it for me.
  • Johan3043
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The portfolio looks great! As the guy above said, love the color and the design! :) Great work!
  • Chris Kuhner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Kuhner polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate the compliments as well! I haven't been getting too many replies and have been wondering if I'm not seeing something or possibly presenting something properly.

I tend to think it has to do with a combination of my experience/location, but, I've also been told your portfolio is really the deciding factor. With that, any advice on the application process for someone like myself who doesn't have a lot of industry experience or further critiques on what I could do to improve would be really beneficial to me. Thanks everyone! :)

sltrOlsson: I completely agree with taking Batman out of the reel. It's actually at the top of my to do list. With the Batman piece, I'm not sure exactly what you mean with the face as it seems anatomically okay to me, albeit a bit caricatured. Could you be more specific?
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    The main thing that bothers me about the batman is it looks like his right nipple has been lactating xD

I love rumblebee :3 ( I wish he was mine :C )
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    About the website, I'd like to see some borders, or cell padding.
    1-2 pixels between each picture.
    5-10 pixels to the window borders.
    and that kinda stuff.
    Great artworks though !
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate the compliments as well! I haven't been getting too many replies and have been wondering if I'm not seeing something or possibly presenting something properly.

I tend to think it has to do with a combination of my experience/location, but, I've also been told your portfolio is really the deciding factor. With that, any advice on the application process for someone like myself who doesn't have a lot of industry experience or further critiques on what I could do to improve would be really beneficial to me. Thanks everyone! :)

sltrOlsson: I completely agree with taking Batman out of the reel. It's actually at the top of my to do list. With the Batman piece, I'm not sure exactly what you mean with the face as it seems anatomically okay to me, albeit a bit caricatured. Could you be more specific?

It's really just my personal opinion, people seams to like it. It was just the first thing that came to me when I opened your site. It's the absolutely first art you get to see and my personal opinion is that your other work is of higher quality. I don't really have any accurate crituqe on the character it self. I'm just telling you what my first feeling was, sorry if it's just confusing.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Until you get more content for the studies section I'd pull it for now. Also under Rumble bee the plants at the bottom still say WIP, you might want to remove that text.