Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need Direction/Help/ Advice Modeling a Car

Hello there!

I've been trying to refine my modeling skills by going outside my comfort zone and doing a car. I specifically picked one that had some smoothness that would be a bit tougher to do. However, I seem to have bit off more than I can chew!

I've been playing with it for about two days and don't seem to be making much progress- I've gotten down a decent blockout, but I can't really figure out how to start fleshing out or refining the details like panel lines, or things like the front grille. I've also completely ignored the bottom of the car. It's meant for a scene I'm working on where we won't see much of the bottom, but I'd still like the opportunity for some low-angle shots so I feel there needs to be some definition without wasting time on details we won't see much of.

I guess the question is- where do I go next with this? I was considering breaking the model apart into its separate panels and working on them more individually, is this preferable to making the whole car one piece? As of right now, the cab and the back of the car are split, (as they are in reality) since that seemed to make sense, as there's a major seam there.

Any advice, crit, or direction would be appreciated!

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 5
    Here's some shots of it so far:

ranger01.jpg
    ranger02.jpg
    ranger03.jpg
    ranger04.jpg
    ranger05.jpg
    ranger06.jpg

And the main reference:

ranger_ref.png
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Spend some time on the sketchfab website vehicle section, look at how others tackled problems and get some inspiration.

Here.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    you dont need to model everything from one piece. You only make it needlessly complicated

I would start from new and make individual parts, that way you will have a lot less problems, also use blueprints
  • Tacticman555
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check this out: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH_JVp4KvxU&list=RD28rH_JVp4KvxU"]Ford Mustang Modeling Tutorial in 3ds max Part 2 - YouTube[/ame] (I hope it links to the playlist)

This playlist let's you understand the general workflow of modelling a car. Most videos are 10 min. short which tackle one problem at a time.
    Note that this is a Mustang he is modelling but it should give you more insight in the workflow and problems you will encounter.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Ye seperate meshes to start with....panel lines are a bastard. Model in the contour of the edge with a single edge loop. Once youve got that you can go and make the panel line as curvy or sharp as you awnt with support edges.

One thing about your model, some more support edges along the sharper lines on the car will make it look a lot less blobby.....experiment by placing them, and adjust till they look right.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    you dont need to model everything from one piece. You only make it needlessly complicated

I would start from new and make individual parts, that way you will have a lot less problems, also use blueprints

Ok, I had a feeling that's where I needed to go. I already had blueprints, I just like to use 3-quarter views as well.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check this out: Ford Mustang Modeling Tutorial in 3ds max Part 2 - YouTube (I hope it links to the playlist)

This is a good reference, thanks!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    As long as you matched your blueprints i wouldn't bother starting new, you're at a pretty good stage to start breaking apart chunks of the mesh to model in detail. Once you do start breaking apart stuff you'll probably be able to delete some edge loops that no longer benefit that particular piece.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posting an update. I did end up starting over. I broke it up more or less along the panel lines, though I did make the back all one piece.

ranger_new01.jpg
    ranger_new02.jpg
    ranger_new03.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking where it's going for the most part, but some of the geometry is a bit cray-zay. .__.
  • Logithx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logithx polycounter lvl 5
    Is the entire body one solid object? If so, never do that. You're setting yourself up for a world of hurt. The wireframe will become a real mess, it becomes increasingly harder to add and/or change things as the mesh gets more complex. Cut the vehicle into pieces, one model for the front body, one for the back, one for the door, one for the lights and so on.

Using multiple meshes instead of one will give you more freedom with adding edges / detail that would otherwise distort the rest of the mesh (for example a loop that would create a sharp crease on a curved piece). This is important because certain parts of a car (like the chassis) tend to have lots of curved shapes that require little geometry (turbosmooth subdivision does most of the work) where as other parts such as the front lights are more square-ish which requires substantial use of edge loops and rings to define the shape (much more dense geometry).

Just try to model the car like it would be built in real-life. The bumpers for example are not fused with the body, they are made seperately and later attached to the vehicle.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not all one piece, the front, back, hood, doors, grille, and lights are all separate pieces.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Here's some wireframe screen grabs from cars used for one of the latest need for speed games, http://i.imgur.com/lZ7Egq3.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nDCTG23.jpg notice now all of the detail is modeled in and they are not using sub division modeling. They also do not use normal maps on the body of the car. They carefully use bevels and control their edges to get the correct shading.

Also the sides of the car is too flat, there should be a large soft curve to the whole side of the car, up to the bottom of the window.