Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP African Sunset - UDK

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
mache polycounter lvl 7
Latest Update:
14wzldv.jpg

Original Post:
Hi, I probably should have posted this at the beginning of the project. But here I am now, asking for feedback, for my WIP scene.
I decided to do this scene because I wanted to try out foliage, as I have done it only once or twice earlier.

As I am not a character artist, I will probably not be making the elephants in the scene, but I'm open for suggestions on what to take their place.

Reference Photo, from google.
29nhrep.jpg

Current Progress:
ou8j02.png
I've turned off global illumination to get the trees darker.

The foliage I've made for the scene, under a more neutral lighting.
x6mm4n.png

A note, perhaps of importance, I'm still a beginner at UDK, I've yet only done one (half-finished) scene before. Which means, this is much, me trying to learn UDK and becomming an environment artist.

Replies

• armodka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tree is looking real nice. You got the feel for it pretty well. Although in the reference the tree does seem to be a bit larger. I'd love to see a wireframe/textures if you get a chance. Are the bushes a bunch of alpha planes? Those are looking pretty good!

If you're not going to model the animals, maybe you can make some huge rocks (Like the Lion King) or an oasis? Keep it up! :D
  • mache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mache polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you :)
    Yes, the bushes are built with planes, & you're right, the tree seems a bit larger in the reference. I made a second variation on it seen on the left in the image. But I'm not happy with either of them, I will redo them later.
    I've played around with the values since last update, added a road, tweaked the placement of some foliage, modeled a new smaller plant, modeled a different variation of the big tree.

Til next time, I will add adopt your idea armodka and add some rocks (but perhaps not Lion King'ish large), remodel the canopy of the large trees & add some different grass variations.

al6c74.png
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    Dat tree !!! really cool tree
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking awesome!

Are you doing anything with the transmission channel for your foliage?
    In your source photo the foliage lets some light pass through, atm yours occludes light completely.

Great project, can't wait to see more :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great! A breakdown on this stuff would be sweet :))
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    polycount of the tree?
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    That is some really great foliage!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your tree needs to be more of a dark blue than a black, and you need stronger depth fog. Not alpha planes, just z-depth color blending. For the rearmost trees.
    Your lighting is very red but it shouldn't be, it's yellow and only the sky is reddish.
  • SoulWind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulWind polycounter lvl 11
    Gorgeous foliage. Your values do need tweaking, your shadows should be in the blue end of the spectrum (from a simple colour pick I got lots of dark blue-gray values), and it might be easier to do that using the colour lookup table functionality.

Colour Look Up Table UDK - Photoshop
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g6kyZ7kRPs"]Color Correction with Look Up Tables in UDK - 3dmotive - YouTube[/ame]
  • mache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mache polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for all the feedback, I've worked with the things you've pointed out, and tweaked the values both manually and using the color look up table (Thanks for the link, SoulWind).

I've also remodeled the canopy on the back trees, and tweaked the canopy of the closest, to both make them look better, and make them catch light closer to the reference.
    Plus I've tweaked placenemt, textures, shaders.

The rock I sculpted using Zbrush for the first time;
    2qltij9.png

And modeled a small tree/sapling. (I Included the other sapling in the picture aswell, because I haven't shown it)
    2ps0d39.png

The updated scene:
    14wzldv.png

Tri count for the other foliage, posted earlier;
    Big closest tree (Instanced once): 8931 Tris
    Far away tree (All of the other trees): 5692 Tris
    Large Bush: 2899 Tris
    Medium Bush: 1930 Tris
    Vine Bush: 1798 Tris
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    Looking awesome, really close to the reference.
    Could you post some wireframes? That 313 tri tree especially
  • vertex_voxel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Reminds me of FarCry2
  • SoulWind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulWind polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really good, for your first time in ZB you've done great. I love those rocks, really authentic. Lots of people care about rock sculpting on PC so you should post your method, same with the foliage.

I don't really have much to say on this except its looking fantastic, and maybe throw something in the foreground.
  • Kar-re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kar-re polycounter lvl 6
    Really gorgeous scene, great rocks and foliage. It would be really interesting to see your methods as SoulWind said. I would maybe make the scenes colors play a little bit more. And the transmission channel would be interesting. But a great scene as said.
  • mache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mache polycounter lvl 7
    Made a breakdown of my method to create foliage, perhaps not the best example, but it explains the basic method (warning for large images!);
    Breakdown_Tutorial_Combined.jpg
    Shader_Network.png

And for the rocks I followed the awesome turotial made by Strkl. Link to his thread; http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126441