Home General Discussion

Quik Time Events In Games

Hello

I am starting my dissertation for final year of university working on QTE's in games trying to find out why people love them and hate them.

I have created a Survey and would be very grateful if you could fill it in. shouldn't take more then 5 minutes. also post up any comments you have about QTE's i would love to hear them, anything from you favorite QTE in a game or the funnest one you have found.

Survey - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/174vnqhOyOr3R5JY2f670Njw8EiamOxZmY6Erh0Xdr8Y/edit#

Thanks guys

Replies

• JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Little typo in one of the questions :)

"Do prefer QTE's in cutscese or in game? *"

I'm not a big fan of QTEs, but I also thought Ryse looked cool and included them heavily so I definitely wouldn't be put off purchasing a game because of them. I think they're so controversial because games are largely about interaction and a QTE replaces what would be a complex series of maneuvers/interactions with a few button presses. It's the game equivalent of a fast/unexplained plot device in a movie - great if you're not that involved in the game and just want to have fun, kind of a bummer if you'd like the gameplay to be deep.

Obviously they seem pretty essential and Devs can add a lot more actions into a game without having to create an entire system of mechanics. It's a lot easier to just have a one-off scene where you Press A to blow up the helicopter than to give the helicopter AI and develop the rocket launcher into a usable weapon (or whatever other example, Press A to play with the cat).

No single QTE sticks out in my head though, maybe running from the boulders in RE4? But it wasn't particularly fun.