Home Dota 2

Inverted anti-mage blades

Hi, i just wanted to share a couple of items i've made and was looking for some feedback. I'm still VERY new to all this and i'm very grateful for any comments that can help me improve!

Mainhand for anti-mage

Offhand for anti-mage

Replies

• GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    In my opinion, it doesn't seem like to would cut well with the attacking animation. Also it looks a little plain in the center of the blade (the solid purple)
  • reallymadmaveric
    I like the glowing runes but the model looks empty in the middle sections. You really need to put some textures in that space
  • mcfluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion, it doesn't seem like to would cut well with the attacking animation. Also it looks a little plain in the center of the blade (the solid purple)

Yeah i suspected people would say that it wouldn't cut well. But i'm thinking that when cutting, instead of being cut by the left edge, they would be cut by the right edge and vice versa. I'm adding a picture to explain better.

YYTQmx0.jpg

As for the textures in the middle, i wasn't exactly sure what to add there since it's just a plain metal surface. What did you have in mind? Like wear and tear or something else?
  • mcfluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the glowing runes but the model looks empty in the middle sections. You really need to put some textures in that space

As i said to earlier post, i'm not sure what i should add there. Have any suggestions?
  • putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Well that's just the problem now, isn't it? I always struggle with this. My "concepts", if you can actually call them that, are extremely weak. I always struggle with what kind of detail to add. Not sure if the center for imagination in my brain is dead or is it just lack of experience...

Like check out this sword I just posted, which is of course doomed to be buried with almost no views and ratings:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183096459

And then you have amazing submissions like this one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=162074892&searchtext=

Something like that is what I strive to do one day :P. And tbh, this elusive "detail" that's missing, doesnt necessarily have to be some tangible feature on the blade. It can just be subtle gradients and hue variations, which is much more believable and appealing than having that flat CG-look.

Ah well, maybe some day I won't suck anymore.
  • mcfluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka wrote: »
    Well that's just the problem now, isn't it? I always struggle with this. My "concepts", if you can actually call them that, are extremely weak. I always struggle with what kind of detail to add. Not sure if the center for imagination in my brain is dead or is it just lack of experience...

Like check out this sword I just posted, which is of course doomed to be buried with almost no views and ratings:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183096459

And then you have amazing submissions like this one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=162074892&searchtext=

Something like that is what I strive to do one day :P. And tbh, this elusive "detail" that's missing, doesnt necessarily have to be some tangible feature on the blade. It can just be subtle gradients and hue variations, which is much more believable and appealing than having that flat CG-look.

Ah well, maybe some day I won't suck anymore.

I thought your sword looked pretty cool though so i gave it a thumb up!
    Thought i'd share some what my concept drawings look like too since we started talking about it. I don't have the colored version left since i accidentally removed the wrong file. It's some concepts for sven's sword and it's the absolute first thing i start doing, then color it before going on to modelling

7WKZNuj.jpg
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Those concepts definitely look like they could go somewhere. I would however consider making it for someone else as Sven swords are really over saturated at the moment.
  • mcfluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    Those concepts definitely look like they could go somewhere. I would however consider making it for someone else as Sven swords are really over saturated at the moment.

Haha actually i haven't played that much dota so i don't even know all heroes weapons. Got any suggestions?
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    4th one looks like it could be a Doom weapon, 5th one looks like it could be good for Abaddon.