Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Forest Environment - Cryengine 3

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Dibbz polycounter lvl 4
An Environment I've been working on for a few months. First time using Zbrush to create textures and first real project working in Cryengine 3. All assets are my own. Would love to get some feedback from you guys.

10026890885_a7bf367742_o.jpg

10026717335_d2a8d5d712_o.jpg

10026721875_9848cfed9a_o.jpg

10026797423_8fd813fcdf_o.jpg

10026733056_21b3329c5b_o.jpg

10026720515_4cf96a9dbc_o.jpg

Replies

• DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    looks pretty rad! im currently working with trees a lot at work and i can't tell but your trees volume wise look very flat? is there a way for u to get vert color inside the core of the trees to get that depth back?

another thing to is the insides of the tree don't seem to get much thicker in the tree as you start looking at the center. remember at the core of the trees canopy you should be seeing the thickest amount of leaves you will see on the tree as a whole.

Are you normal thieving from a volume shape for the tree as a whole?

tons of random questions i know but just want to get the ball rolling on how you put them together so we can make them look better than they already are cus man... they already look pretty dope
  • Dibbz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dibbz polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the advice.

I adjusted the normals using a speedtree script that came with UDK to make the tree canopy normals emit outwards like a sphere. I also tweeked the cryenengine material so the backfacing shadows are more pronounced and it doesn't let as much light through.

Also added another branch to the tree to thicken it up a bit.

10029310076_3dda1dd1d8_o.jpg
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! looks great :) any chance you release those assets to the community?
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    Very cool. Nice work!
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love this so far. The ground textures/blending look especially slick.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Looking pretty sweet! Looking forward to seeing more!
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
  • Dibbz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dibbz polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. Someone asked me via Email about how I made my textures so I thought I'd update this thread with a little bit of info to share with everyone else.

The textures are really nothing fancy. To begin with I made a base mud layer with some alphas. Then I grabbed a texture, say one with leaves and made a new tool in Zbrush with it. Grab a greyscale version of the texture and apply it as a displacement. Set the displacement quite high, will be important for the next stage.

Once you have two tools, a base mud layer and a detail layer with leaves or stones or whatever, drop the base mud layer to 2.5D and then simply draw in your leaves/rocks tool making sure to pan with @ key to get it to tile. Since the displacement is quite high on the leaves tool you will only get the very high bits of the tool showing through, which in this case would be the leaves. Very handy since it allows you to essentially add details to an all ready existing ground.

I make sure both tools are polypainted before hand so I'm not messing around trying to paint anything in later on since that would be a huge pain.

There is probably an easier way to do this but being new to Zbrush this was a way I stumbled into to get the job done :)

Made a little image that hopefully helps with the explanation.

10060440235_d56229b390_o.jpg
  • Xerafel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the scene and textures! Did you do a lot of adjusting in the Time of Day editor to get your lighting, or are they mostly basic settings?
  • LiquidSpacie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for this texture tip, really useful. You did a good job :)
  • Dibbz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dibbz polycounter lvl 4
    Xerafel wrote: »
    Love the scene and textures! Did you do a lot of adjusting in the Time of Day editor to get your lighting, or are they mostly basic settings?

Settings are default. I played around with it initially but textures are so dependent on the lighting conditions I found it best to work with default lighting to properly gauge how the textures looked in engine.

I'm possibly going to put this project on the back burner for now but keeps the crits coming if you have any.
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    nice, looking good,
    I'm suggesting a little bit more color,
    young plants a lighter fresh green,
    some more brown yellowish from dead leaves and stuff,
    the path is also very dark and grey,
    like the image you used to sculpt, it has more color and color variation