Home General Discussion

Low Poly Models (PS1 Era) - Guides, Advice, etc.?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
FiftyTifty polycounter lvl 10
Finally got my computer back up and running, so now I can resume learning 'bout polygons again. HUZZAH!

Anyhow, my question/inquiry-type-thing is this:

Where would I find tutorials/guides/tips on modelling extremely low polygon characters? The ones that I have found are either not true low poly (As in 1,000 polygons. Not exactly low poly, eh?) or are not in the style that I'm aiming for.

A good example of the style that I wish to learn, would be Tobal 2. Haven't found any guides on modelling characters in a similar fashion to that game.

Another example would be Omikron: Nomad Soul.

Quick google searches will yield images to demonstrate their art style; I'd post a few, but I don't know what sort o' perspectives are needed.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Modeling is modeling... doesn't matter if it's high or low. It's all about forms. Look for tutorials on box modeling, learn the tools, achieve good forms, go from there.
  • FiftyTifty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Modeling is modeling... doesn't matter if it's high or low. It's all about forms. Look for tutorials on box modeling, learn the tools, achieve good forms, go from there.

I do believe you know as well as I do, that what you said is nonsense.

Let me swap a few terms to show how.
    Drawing is drawing... doesn't matter if it's renaissance or toony. It's all about forms. Look for tutorials on drawing, learn the tools, achieve good forms, go from there.

Though, I am curious as to what you mean by forms. Haven't heard that term bandied about before in discussions about 3D modelling.

So my first post still stands. If folks are curious, I am wanting to learn how to make low poly characters in that particular style, because I am planning out a game that will be involving hundreds upon hundreds of characters at any given time.

That, and I love the look of low-polygonal characters. They just have a charm to them that the high-polygon ones lack. The uncanny valley is probably another factor.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    Fuiosg is right dude modeling is modeling 1k polys is really low for what games do these days. You're not going to find many tuts on how to make anything lower than 1k outside of characters. I would just Look for tutorials on box modeling and learn the tools. You can always make them your model lower poly.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    MajinCry wrote: »

Nope, that sounds about right. If you know the fundamentals of modeling, a 500 tri character should be pretty straight forward. Focus on the silhouette more than anything as secondary and tertiary forms will all be handled in texture. Use intersecting geo if you need to, but still try to have a couple loops in areas that deform for animation.

Also, don't cop an attitude when someone is trying to help you. It was good advice.

There are some low poly character threads on the wiki that are worth checking out. http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTopology?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryCharacterModeling%5Cb%29
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Its not nonsense, its actually a very good point - try to be a bit more humble and you might actually learn something. Also, wouldn't recommend jumping the gun and thinking about modeling hundreds of characters when you're still figuring out how to model your first, give it some time and get the know how. Good luck!
  • FiftyTifty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MajinCry wrote: »

Let me swap a few terms to show how.

-snip-

Sorry 'bout the dicky-aspects of that post. Now that I look back on it, I was speaking from ignorance. I should have asked what was meant by "forms".

I should also mention, that I'm a practicioner of the ol' satire. So if it comes across as insulting, try reading it in a high voice.
    Fuiosg is right dude modeling is modeling 1k polys is really low for what games do these days. You're not going to find many tuts on how to make anything lower than 1k outside of characters. I would just Look for tutorials on box modeling and learn the tools. You can always make them your model lower poly.

The thing is, I want to learn how to make GOOD low poly characters. Yeah, I could probably just shape one out, but I know for certain (with my skill-level, at least) that it won't deform well or will just look wierd.

Nope, that sounds about right. If you know the fundamentals of modeling, a 500 tri character should be pretty straight forward. Focus on the silhouette more than anything as secondary and tertiary forms will all be handled in texture. Use intersecting geo if you need to, but still try to have a couple loops in areas that deform for animation.

Also, don't cop an attitude when someone is trying to help you. It was good advice.

There are some low poly character threads on the wiki that are worth checking out. http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTo...odeling%5Cb%29

Uh. Secondary and tertiary forms? Do tell what is meant by forms. I am quite confuzzled.

Looked through that wiki. Had some general advice, but didn't find anything dedicated to creating a low poly character.
    Torch wrote:
    Its not nonsense, its actually a very good point - try to be a bit more humble and you might actually learn something. Also, wouldn't recommend jumping the gun and thinking about modeling hundreds of characters when you're still figuring out how to model your first, give it some time and get the know how. Good luck!

When I meant having hundreds of characters, I meant rendering hundreds of characters. Basically, I want to learn how to make low poly models that aren't badly made (such as the ones I create) in terms of deformation and general aesthetics.

Reason for that, is there will be lots of models being rendered at any given time. Rather than going for a couple of hi-poly models being rendered at once, I'm aiming for hundreds (if not thousands) of low-poly models being rendered at once.

I should probably iterate on my level of skill. I haven't had any training, nor am I an artist. Essentially, what I've done is learned the basic techniques for modelling characters, learned how to use 3DS Max and then shape out characters using a pre-existing mesh as a guideline.

Now, if i'm going to be told to learn anatomy and all that good stuff, I'll mention that I don't have the time, skill nor resources to go learn all the in-depth factors of creating a human.

All I'm looking for, is a guide that shows, or information about, how to make a low-poly human without gimping it completely.

As I said, there are guides on how to do a 1,000 polygon character and make it look good, but there are none on doing a 300 (or even 500) polygon character, especially in the style I'm attempting.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is, I want to learn how to make GOOD low poly characters. Yeah, I could probably just shape one out, but I know for certain (with my skill-level, at least) that it won't deform well or will just look wierd.
    They're ultra low poly models, not sure what you're expecting...

More geometry doesn't just help the silhouette it also improves deformation.

As I said, there are guides on how to do a 1,000 polygon character and make it look good, but there are none on doing a 300 (or even 500) polygon character, especially in the style I'm attempting.
    Use the 1k guide and aggressively optimize it.

When you have something built post it in P&P or tech talk with pictures that point out any problems you are having.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    Stop talking about making things and make them. If it comes out not looking what you want it to look like then sorry you got to start over. That how we learn.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is, I want to learn how to make GOOD low poly characters.

A tutorial is only going to help so much...to make good quality stuff, you'll need to practice a lot. It should be expected that your first couple of characters will probably not be very good....you just gotta put in the work and keep trying to improve.

Also, you might find this thread inspirational:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41232

Theres a lot of super low poly work and here, maybe you can pick up a thing or two from there.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    http://www.sloperama.com/advice/entry65.htm
    Don't tell us it's all so confusing. We know that! Don't ask us "what's the secret?" There is no secret. That's the secret. The universe is one big gray area.
    Don't assume that everything is either black or white. There are myriad shades of gray, and colors, and even non-visible spectra! There are more than two possible answers to every question. Most black-and-white, A-or-B questions can be quickly answered: "It depends." "Neither of the above." "Both of the above." "C."