Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular dwarf

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Thaorini polycounter lvl 7
Hello! First thread on these forums so hopefully I've put this thread in the right place!

I've just recently finished a four year course in 3d animation but sadly none of the lecturers had a background in said area of study (something that left me scratching my head) so the majority of my 3d skills have been self taught, I really want to become a 3d character/asset modeller for a games company (or any company that will hire me) so I set the challenge for myself to make a dwarf that can easily be changed and adapted quickly to fit numerous roles.

First role I wanted to create was a Dwarf Slayer from the Warhammer series
Warhammer_slayer_fanart_by_Tygodym.jpg

So after a wee look around the internet for possible reference's I could use for the body etc I got to work and last night this is what I came up with.

1269142_711223132239603_497422091_o.jpg

Although I'm fairly happy with how he's turned out so far theres several parts that have been nagging me (hands + waist cloth still to be detailed)

Back.png
Sideview.png

Face.png

So far I'm rather happy with how my wee dwarf has turned out and I think I'm getting close to the proper detailing then poly painting aspect but I was of course hoping to see if any other keen eyed modellers could spot things I've missed or give critisims on how I could make the dwarf more dwarfy! :)

Other kind of dwarfs I'm hoping to make from this base one is a lucha libre dwarf, hoplite, heavy armoured so all fit into one scene with one another to show off my rapid character/asset creation skills!

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    here is what you should focus on in your studies:

anatomy
    anatomy
    anatomy

get the major shapes right, then take care of details.
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with Neox. I see you're way too excited to get into the nitty gritty but the difficult part are the proportions. Get your proportions right on the lower subdivisions and afterwards start fixing the muscles and other shapes on the higher levels.
  • Thaorini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaorini polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the feedback so far, are the proportions all over the dwarf a bit off or is it specific areas?

The upper torso is something I need to go back to I reckon and the legs are slightly off but I cant think of anything other than those areas (Mostly cause I've been staring at it for ages, should probably take a break then go back!)