Home General Discussion

Prices...

I have a question about a price.

Say, you have been offered to make a level in the engine. Small, but very detailed.
I have difficulty deciding how much I would charge for it.

Do you guys have any advices on the matter?

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    your expected annual salary / 2000 = your hourly rate

price = rate x hours you work
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    This could be a dumb question but MM, why 2000 and what does it stand for?
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    2000/52 is roughly an average hourly working week? I think that's why...
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, if it's a work from the house, how would you charge? 6-8 hrs per day?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    there are roughly 2000 work hours (50 work weeks) in a year given that you get couple weeks vacation.

without vacation you get 52 work weeks and 2080 work hours in a year.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Elodin wrote: »
    Aye, if it's a work from the house, how would you charge? 6-8 hrs per day?

work hours are work hours, it should not matter where you work from as long as you deliver quality and within deadline.
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I take it price per hour varies as well, like in any job.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    $16-20 an hour should be the bare minium for skilled freelancing, people that just started doing it full time charge around $25.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »
    $16-20 an hour should be the bare minium for skilled freelancing, people that just started doing it full time charge around $25.

anything under $25 is unacceptable imo. $16 is robbery for a "skilled freelancer".
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The $20 range is more for highschool/college students doing it in their freetime, not people trying to make a living off it.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    The $20 range is more for highschool/college students doing it in their freetime, not people trying to make a living off it.

I does really depend on your portfolio right? I mean I have seen people have been working in the arts / game industry, who actually charge more then $30.00+/hr or a certain fixed amount and they take up multiple contracts from same / multiple clients. (Do not ask me to prove it, just listen to FZD School youtube vids, plus few people who kind of tell you what they do and how they go about doing it in some Google hangouts.)

That being said, you do have to make a good investment in making your own art studio if you are going for one. Last figure I've heard was around 20k for startup freelance studio.

correct me if I am wrong.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18

^ Sad thing is I know people are either taking that or lower just to get the positions no matter there end objective with said position. To them money is money and it is better than no money.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    I does really depend on your portfolio right? I mean I have seen people have been working in the arts / game industry, who actually charge more then $30.00+/hr or a certain fixed amount and they take up multiple contracts from same / multiple clients. (Do not ask me to prove it, just listen to FZD School youtube vids, plus few people who kind of tell you what they do and how they go about doing it in some Google hangouts.)

That being said, you do have to make a good investment in making your own art studio if you are going for one. Last figure I've heard was around 20k for startup freelance studio.

correct me if I am wrong.

I've heard people making upwards of $50 an hour. But yeah, to start freelancing you need to spend probably about $20k on getting a lawyer, buying hardware and software, forming a business, filing taxes, etc. Plus you need to cover extra expenses like getting insurance.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Racer445 wrote: »
    anything under $25 is unacceptable imo. $16 is robbery for a "skilled freelancer".
    I agree with this.
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice.

I get the average now. That was a little bit confusing, I hope this topic helps everyone with same question.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I've charged anything between $13 an hour and $500 per day - it depends on the client.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I've heard people making upwards of $50 an hour. But yeah, to start freelancing you need to spend probably about $20k on getting a lawyer, buying hardware and software, forming a business, filing taxes, etc. Plus you need to cover extra expenses like getting insurance.

Getting started should cost less than 10k and most people own some of that stuff already. The software is the only big part. No need for a lawyer. If freelancers sent every contract they signed over to a lawyer they would never get work done. Autodesk and adobe also both offer subscription based licensing you can spread these expenses out.

If you are doing anything beyond intern scope start at $30 an hour. I also suggest you ask for incrementally more money from each new client to see where the limit is. MM's formula is great if you can find enough work but realistically when you are starting out will have a hard time filling in full time hours.