Home Technical Talk

What would be the best way to model this chair with curved surfaces?

Hello everyone. This is the chair I'm talking about: category13.jpg

I spent hours googling, searching and trying out some techniques to make it but it doesn't look right. This is what I have so far:

ns0u4Rf.png?1?2192

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    It would be nice to see your current wireframe without subdivisions. Otherwise its hard to give advice...

Easiest way would be:

-start with a plane with only a few subdivisions, build the base shape without holes or "frame"
    -when you got the basic shape, subdivide once and delete the holes
    -then extend the borders to the back to achieve the "bent" effect around the edge
    -apply thickness to the model
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    To get the base of the model, I would just make a flat plane and adjust it to the overall shape and holes, and then use some bend and FFD modifiers to get it into shape, put a shell modifier on it and then soften the edges with some chamfers.
  • kHellstr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my 15 min:
    nmbcsqv.png
    Used Modo and modified "flat" shape with and move/scale tool with falloffs. Finally learning to use falloffs, damn powerfull tools :)

Then bend it and tweaking, again move/scale tool with falloffs.

There are ugly topology around holes, but could be fixed. ( I think it should be done before bending)

// now I have chair to my ship models deck ;)
  • Parkas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your answers everyone! I finally finished it. Here it is:

FRFlh01.png?1

n2EXzXT.png?1

I know it's bad but I'm still new to this stuff. Finally finished it after breaking my head so much yesterday.

perna wrote: »
    show us chair #1 though, you didn't skip it I hope ;)
    kritter-childrens-chair__0096632_PE236603_S4.JPG

Of course not! Here is chair 1:

TtspTIV.png?1?3956

UyK58NM.png?1

I don't know why these chairs are taking me so long to make. I took 4 hours to make this one. Probably because I keep running into so much problems.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    On problem is that you dont seperate seperate objects. It seems like you want to model the whole lower chair out of one piece.
  • Parkas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki wrote: »
    On problem is that you dont seperate seperate objects. It seems like you want to model the whole lower chair out of one piece.

I probably should have modeled the rectangle between the chair legs as seperate objects. I only made them one time, then copy pasted them though.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you've missed a lot of the edges and curves on that first chair because you wanted a contiguous mesh. Break it down into pieces, that's how it was built anyway.
  • Parkas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Yeah, you've missed a lot of the edges and curves on that first chair because you wanted a contiguous mesh. Break it down into pieces, that's how it was built anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try breaking it down into pieces more often. By first chair, do you mean the first one I posted or the one with the animals?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The one with the animals. Actually, on second look I think I'm mostly mistaken anyway. :P But, the advice is still good : if it's a separate piece in real life, model it that way. You'll usually end up with a better mesh.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, unless it's for a low poly ingame, there is no reason to modelling it as one mesh, if its not in real life. I have that bad habit of wanting it all to be one mesh and I keep returning to my meshes later on and go, DOH. Even with lowpoly, you are better served to let your two elements just intersect without merging them.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya good rule of thumb for highpolys divide shit where it is separate in real-life, with the exception of floaters for making surface detail. But in this day the need for floaters as pretty much been nullified by tools like nD2.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Concerning the simpler chair:
    Aside from breaking the mesh up as suggested, I'd like to chime in and say to keep a close eye on the reference images when you're modeling something from them. Particularly the placement of the screws on the legs (both their height and which side of the legs they're found on), and the length of the back legs (which appear to be made up of two parts on yours).