Home General Discussion

3D "Peachy" Printer

Kickstarter Link

The printer (named the "Peachy Printer") runs on audio files transmitted from a computer to the printer. The audio controls mirrors, which directs a laser that solidifies the serum at the bottom of the printer. It runs on Blender, and the serum is supposed to be really cheap. The system sounds very achievable!

It's already raised over $300,000 in 4 days.

Here's a how it works video that explains it better:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80HsW4HmUes"]Peachy Printer - How it Works - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Love to see some animal/human model examples to get a better idea. I'm thinking the main issue would be EM noise since the headphone jack is analog. So you would never get the precision versus a direct digital connection to the laser controllers.
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought of that too, a good sound card could actually improve the quality of your print (who would've ever thought?). For that price though, it's pretty amazing quality!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I dont like the idea of having two large bins of liquid near my computer and or other electronics. Thats the first major flaw in this design.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah, spools of plastic is cleaner and simpler. I wonder if its cheaper too. It seems like it would be more available and easier to buy.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Dataday wrote: »
    I dont like the idea of having two large bins of liquid near my computer and or other electronics. Thats the first major flaw in this design.

As opposed to all the people who have internal water cooling? Couldn't you just get headphone extensions?

I think this looks really awesome, but I would like to see some other models being made other than weird geometric shapes.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    praetus wrote: »
    As opposed to all the people who have internal water cooling? Couldn't you just get headphone extensions?

I think this looks really awesome, but I would like to see some other models being made other than weird geometric shapes.

I think theres a big difference between a large open tank of liquid and a liquid cooler existing within a pair of tubes. Also you wont see such cooling in a notebook/mobile workstation either..and those make more sense for use in printing 3d objects.

That said, im not a big fan of liquid cooling either. Already lost one PC to a leak from a cooling system. There are better, safer methods in my opinion.

This is a neat concept, but you need to find the right balance between cheap and functional. The tubs of saltwater and a drip system is a bit too cheap.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Let he who does not drink beverages at his computer desk cast the first stone.

I think it's easily solved by keeping the thing somewhere safe, there are cords long enough.

At first I was a bit worried by the different things, like using audio to control the printer, but now in the end I realize that they're pretty ingenious ways to keep the cost down, most likely making this the cheapest printer yet.
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    It's also salt water. Having salt water next to a pc for any amout of time vever ends well.

I get using the audio port on the PC to keep the price down. But are arduinos that expensive. Even a dedicated Raspberry Pi would only cost $20-30.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    Yeah, spools of plastic is cleaner and simpler. I wonder if its cheaper too. It seems like it would be more available and easier to buy.
    You can get a much higher level of detail working with liquid than the typical low end ABS/PLA based printers though.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'm really tempted, but only getting it by August next year is just way too long. By then Makerbot or another company might have come up with something new. I'd love to have it for the winter as well :/
    And yes afaik this laser method is much more precise than extruded plastic.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the biggest barrier to me throwing down the money for this, is the lack of what i would call a functional demo piece.

they can print a cube, and a cuboid with a twist in the middle.

that's useless to me. until i see far more complex shapes, i'm not sold on it at all.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen good stuff coming from the Form 1 printer by Formlabs but it's $3,299. That's not too crazy for the level of detail you get.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if it were possible to output sound through USB rather than stereo cables as well, that would be a big plus point.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    if it were possible to output sound through USB rather than stereo cables as well, that would be a big plus point.

On their FAQ on their website they say that they plan to include a USB sound card with the kit from memory.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    At first glance, you see 3d printer and $100. Sounds great! Except not....

This uses resin. Resin that is actually extremely toxic AND expensive. Although the printer itself may be cheap, a tub of resin can run you $500. Im not totally usre how much you can get out of that, but it's definitely way more expensive than the filament that you buy for the coil fed machines you can get. Plus, with how toxic the resin is, it's not that safe to be around, breathing in the fumes. And you cant just dump it down the sink, or toss in the trash. You need to dispose of it properly. Kind of a pain in the ass.

Home 3d printers can be extremely finicky. If you`re going to get one, I would suggest getting a Makerbot, as they`ve been building them for a while now, and have worked out some of the kinks and what not. Plus they use the filament, so its cheaper in the long run.
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    They estimate the price of a few prints, and it seems low. They also have a link and info in the faq concerning the resin..so maybe you should have another look.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Uhhh, so, some of those links address the cost, which is good... But when it comes to is it toxic, their answer is simply "we have no F'ing idea"
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    High school had a maker bot that I printed school mascot statues with, teacher said I was the only one who ever made good use of it

I'd love to own one it was so cool, but it handled overhanging areas very poorly. This sounds like it would do it very well
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Sounds promising... lolololol

Seriously though, how the heck did these guys come up with the idea for this thing? It's like if Ford decided to start building cars by first flying to the moon on cotton candy fuel and then growing a banana farm.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    This thing sounds incredible. The change in approach to 3D printing yields numerous benefits.

I probably won't be contributing to the Kickstarter. Mainly because I won't have to, they've already raised almost ten times their original goal. (and still have 25 days more to go) I would definitely be willing to purchase one when they finally start shipping a commercial product. I look forward to seeing how their system handles more complex prints going forward.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    frell wrote: »
    High school had a maker bot that I printed school mascot statues with, teacher said I was the only one who ever made good use of it

I'd love to own one it was so cool, but it handled overhanging areas very poorly. This sounds like it would do it very well
    The thing is, you have to learn to use them properly - we've got a couple of Makerbots at work that we use all the time and it's taken a lot of experimentation, trial and error to get the optimal level of detail with the lowest probability that you'll wind up with offset sections or a big pile of PLA spaghetti. Even then they're pretty finicky and will randomly destroy prints. They're certainly not a set up and get great results immediately, and that'll be the same with any printer you get.

There's also the fact that the hardware and software had developed significantly since the initial releases. I'd be wary about picking up first generation hardware. I mean for $100 I suppose it's cheap enough to grab one and see how it goes, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's rather less than robust in its first few iterations.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    There's also the fact that the hardware and software had developed significantly since the initial releases. I'd be wary about picking up first generation hardware. I mean for $100 I suppose it's cheap enough to grab one and see how it goes, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's rather less than robust in its first few iterations.

Very true. You always have to be wary about new hardware. Just look at the initial run of the XBox 360. And that was from a major company with teams of engineers and multiple years of development time. Nothing comes out perfect the first time.

At the same time, I can understand the backers' enthusiasm for a product like this. There is quite a bit of potential here, and the specific approach is encouraging. I won't be joining them, but then I am more interested in the final product they are able to produce at the end of the Kickstarter. I approached the Occulus Rift with the same trepidation. It's a lot easier when you already know their project is going to get funded.

What I like most about this Peachy printer is the almost complete lack of moving parts. For something like a 3D printer this strikes me as a particularly promising approach. Technology that does away with moving parts as much as possible usually tends to be much more stable. And for a product like this what I crave is stability and consistency. It's a form of manufacturing, after all.