Home Technical Talk

Maya UVW mapping

Hello all,

I am new to maya and just had a few questions:
in terms of UVW mapping, how can I get the unselected faces in the uvw editor to stop disappearing when I have a face selected?
Also, The planar projections look normalized, is there something Im missing to get them to not be normalized?

Also, when I created a subdivided and smoothed model (my highpoly) it just exports the low poly? not sure how to explain this. Very confused.

Thanks!

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    It sounds like you might have models which are parented to each other. If this is the case, only the UVs on the model corresponding to your selection will be visible, while the UVs on all other models will vanish. It's annoying for sure. The only way around this would be to temporarily unparent your objects or combine everything. You can check for object parenting using Window > Outliner.

If you are using the 3 key (smooth preview) to subdivide your model, note that it is simply a preview and your mesh has not actually been subdivided. In order to physically subdivide your model, you will need to use the Mesh > Smooth tool.

Don't forget to delete your history...
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    When you select faces, the others disappear. That's just how it is. There may be a way to fix it, but I don't really know. I usually just use the other components instead.
  • benc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might just be the Maya way, the UVW editor is a very powerful way of making selections once you get used to it thought :)

I usually use face mode to make a rough selection then convert it to UVs to actually move them around, if you are new to it, it can take a while to sink in, but jumping between selection types becomes second nature. The only other thing you might want to check is that you don't have View Contained Faces ticked as this will only show you the actual faces you have selected even if the UVs are shared, which means if you don't have a complete UV shell selected you may be moving hidden UVs.

sklHe2J.gif
    sklHe2J
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    only does that in face mode, so never really bothered me much since most uv editing is done in edge and UV mode which act how you would expect.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...erm...so there's no way around it?

seems silly. how do I know if im overlapping UVW's then lol
    or how do I know where Im placing uv's if i cant see the rest of my unselected uvs?

also, nothing is parented in the scene at all.

anywho, how do I project a non normalized projection, because using the xyz planar projection fits it into the UV square, which is not what I want.
  • benc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As Passerby mentioned, use UV mode and not face mode, Face mode has its place for separating uv islands or general selection, but use UV mode to display the whole mesh's UVs... if that makes sense! (sorry was trying to show that in the gif but failed ;) )

Swapping between face / edge / vert and UV mode is great once you get the hang of it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya if your wanting a easy way to move whole islands, there is the move UV tools which selected a whole island and switches to the move transform for you.

also tip for both the uv view and the 3d view, holding ctrl+lmb gets you a menu for converting between component types.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -___- I know all that, Ill stick to max when mapping.

What I want to do is, see all of my maps neatly mapped out so I know where to move/rotate/scale things. Because when I have a UV island selected, the others disappear so I have no clue where Im going.
    And If I want to break a polygon or something off of an island I cant do that either, it just moves as an element.
    In max you select the poly in the uvw editor RightClick>Break and it splits the polygon. Or in max you hit "Quick Planar Map" and it gives you an accurate, unnormalized projection of your uvw.

also,
    I want these items in blue to overlap, any way to evenly overlap them?

54aozt.png
  • tonyd927
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105380
    Grab this script, has a bunch of useful features, but namely a script to snap/align shells to one another.

Also since you can't actually move anything in UV space in anything but UV component mode, once you convert any type of selection to UVs you will be able to see everything else and thus be able to move things in relation to the rest of the UVs.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    you need to use the move shell tool to move the islands around etc or just switch to uv mode and manually select every point you want, this way nothing disappears while editing. face mode is almost useless in maya uv mapping, I almost wish they didnt include it at all because it gives the false impression that maya uv mapping is similar to max and all other uv mappers but it really isnt, its good once you get used to switching between modes all the time but until then its really crap.

Im not a fan of nightshade because it gets rid of some of the default ui which I use a lot eg the smart unfold tools and the general layout but people new to maya might like it.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah,

how do i relax a selection? Right click > relax uvs doesnt seem to be working at all.

not a huge fan of these mapping tools. 3DS max is very streamlined and to the point.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smooth uv tool
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    tonyd927 wrote: »
    ah,

how do i relax a selection? Right click > relax uvs doesnt seem to be working at all.

not a huge fan of these mapping tools. 3DS max is very streamlined and to the point.

You're just not used to it. It gets easier.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    You're just not used to it. It gets easier.

well Im just trying to relax the uv so it isnt normalized to fit in the UVW box...cant seem to find an answer anywhere

EDIT:
    also, how do I export texture maps from maya?
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    To Select Shells- I usually Ctrl + right click > To Shell> Then move tool(W key)

Export texture maps? (I guess you are referring to UVW map?)
    - Polygons> Uv Snapshot> Browse output folder> click OK

if you are refering to a selection map then use FroTools' Apply random shell colors and then export. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92535

"I want these items in blue to overlap, any way to evenly overlap them?"

Select the uv island> goto move settings and make sure Retain component spacing is turn on> hold d + v to move the pivot to a corner vertex> move snap to the piece you want to overlap by pressing v.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Someone already has said; it's the Smooth UV tool.

It's in the UV Texture Editor. Under Tool>Smooth UV Tool.

Make sure you select the UVs you want to relax, (the whole shell),
    and then hit the Smooth UV Tool button, at which point a couple of sliders will pop up down in the left hand corner, one which says Unfold, one says Relax. Click and drag either as many times as it takes to make it look right.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone know why my textures are doing this "two face" thing?
    I dont get it, it's not on the uvw map...
    also. my normal maps dont seem to be doing anything at all in unity, any tips on this?
    this is in unity

16ignz4.png

here's the uvw map:

1jvyte.png
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's a problem with your vertex normals, and there facing tonyd927.

as a side note your UV layout is pretty bad it wastes a lot of space, and looks like you just masked a metal photoref with your AO
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    it's a problem with your vertex normals, and there facing tonyd927.

as a side note your UV layout is pretty bad it wastes a lot of space, and looks like you just masked a metal photoref with your AO

ok, so how do I fix these normals?

Ive been using maya for a few weeks, the UVW editor is crap compared to max in my opinion. Huge learning curve here.
    and yea thats what I did, I cant paint metal and if I do it looks cheesy.
  • tonyd927
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just make sure all your normals are out facing, a easy check is to turn off render back facing or turn on vertex and face normals display.

It mostly got flipped if you built the model as one half than used the duplicate and scale by -1 trick to mirror it.

Also like mentioned before the UV layout needs a lot of work, a lot of texture space is being wasted, and texturing could be massively improved since you got no localised detail just a generic metal photo ref at the wrong scale.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    Just make sure all your normals are out facing, a easy check is to turn off render back facing or turn on vertex and face normals display.

It mostly got flipped if you built the model as one half than used the duplicate and scale by -1 trick to mirror it.

Also like mentioned before the UV layout needs a lot of work, a lot of texture space is being wasted, and texturing could be massively improved since you got no localised detail just a generic metal photo ref at the wrong scale.

I did that and all the normals are flipped correctly? It doesnt look any different from the others.

Also, yea that's exactly how I made it.

Im gonna uvw it in 3ds max, much easier that way using textools.
  • tonyd927
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Bad news.
    Even when you're proficient in maya its still going to be horrible ;)

If that is a vertex normal problem you probably need to unlock normals before you'll be allowed to fix it

Make sure faces aren't flipped as well - youll need to turn backface culling on in about 6 places to achieve this with any certainty .

Maya will allow all sorts of stupid shit on a poly mesh that max won't so you need to keep on top of every little thing at every stage in order to avoid weirdness
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or just turn on normals display so you can see where they are pointing.

The I think mayas normals editing is better than maxs and with some customisation I can work more effectly in its UV editor than Max too.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found how to check them, they are all facing outwards.
    So what exactly is going on here?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    could be maya's smoothing group, soften, harden
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also could be be flipped shells
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how do I flip shells? sorry, just completely new to this interface :(
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok now I am trying to UVW a cylindrical shape. whenever I select a cylindrical projection it isnt the correct size. For example:

2lkyxcn.png

How do I get the correct ratio/normalization or what ever it's called because clearly there is some stretching going on here...

This happens alot and I dont know how to fix it.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cylindrical UV shells are pretty easy to get proper proportions. Just select the top or bottom row of UVs and then click on the Unfold button at the top of the UV Texture Editor. It will consider the pinned (unselected) UVs of the shell when unfolding and snap everything into the appropriate spot in relation to the pinned UVs, as best as it can.

The closer to a primitive shape the UV shell is, the better this tool works. It needs to have the appropriate seams split beforehand or it won't work.

UV.png
    how do I flip shells? sorry, just completely new to this interface :(

Flipping shells can be accomplished using the fourth and fifth buttons along the top row of buttons in the UV Texture Editor. Also if you hover your mouse over a button, a description of that tool should be visible at the bottom left corner of Maya, below the MEL command line. You should try experimenting with all the tools so you can get a good idea of what is available to you.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's not working for me, it doesnt make any changes at all. THe tool is at its default settings :poly127:

also, Ive begun to notice that as Im editing my uvw's some of my previously mapped objects' islands are "warping" for example: I mapped a cylinder, then attached another mesh to it, and mapped the newly added mesh, and now the cylinders maps are distorted..

These overlapping islands were perfectly straight, why are they all wavy?
    also, the end caps of these cylinders look droopy? how?!

2di0d52.gif

I have absolutely HAD IT with these UVW tools.

Relax = does nothing

Unfold UVW = works when it wants to

Planar map = constricts the projection to the box which is NOT how you do it.

Cylindrical map = works when it wants to, also normalizes the projection, again..not what I want.

Move and sew edges = distorts the sizes in what I am stitching, unable to fix.

For whatever reason, my UVW's "morph" into odd shapes/wavy shapes without me touching them.

If anyone wants to help UVW this I will gladly host the .obj for it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive been using maya for about 9 months now and I still pretty much agree with everything you are saying, the uv tools are total crap. I have found ways to work around them and get the results I want pretty fast but its not a workflow that feels right or makes sense.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear about your frustration with your model. The general attitude on Polycount seems to be that Maya's UV mapping tools are trashy, despite my thinking the contrary.

I use Planar Projection, Cut UV Edges, Smooth UVs, Unfold, and Select Shell tools almost exclusively. The only time these tools fail is when there is an issue with the mesh or improperly split UV edges.

Here's a video from a while back that shows my unwrapping work flow; it's sped up, but hopefully it's still useful in some capacity. I use only the tools listed above, all with the default settings.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B_1gFVzHBw"]Tread Armor UV Unwrapping - YouTube[/ame]
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok in addition to all the other lovely errors I've been having with Maya, here's a new one:
    my mesh is "see through" in some places...

330s1gw.gif
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    change you're near clip plane of persp camera to 1. Its probably set to 0.0001 or something. That or you have transparency. Try uploading the maya file as there might be bunch of different issues.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not read Maya's readme html files, spend some time over at creativecrash or go through some youtube tutorial, some are no more than 2 mins long if you want to learn Maya. Asking everyone about Maya and its UV module and not be willing to dig some dust off yourself is a nono IMO. Its like you want people to answer any bit of question you may have without doing the work.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Why not read Maya's readme html files, spend some time over at creativecrash or go through some youtube tutorial, some are no more than 2 mins long if you want to learn Maya. Asking everyone about Maya and its UV module and not be willing to dig some dust off yourself is a nono IMO. Its like you want people to answer any bit of question you may have without doing the work.

hah. Actually I am following the tutorials on digital tutors.. :thumbup:
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah. Actually I am following the tutorials on digital tutors.. :thumbup:

Agreed, but i remember the days when studying Maya i would read/look at the whole html file that comes with it and post my question after trial and error as a last resort.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now xnormal isnt working.

here's EVERYTHING. Good luck and thank you so much to whoever can figure this crap out.
    http://speedy.sh/vMmxy/column-1.zip

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya never found the digital tutors stuff that great, better off just using the help docs.

also the maya UV editor isn't that bad, it just takes a little getting used to, i prefer the maya one + a few scripts and my own customizations over the max one.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so theres no solution to the uvw's "disappearing" when I make a selection?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    so theres no solution to the uvw's "disappearing" when I make a selection?

Since the only type of selection you can modify UVs with is UV selection, I would suggest hitting ctrl+f12 after you make a face selection to convert to UVs so you can move around etc. Isolating the faces is useful if you do some sort of other projection and have a bunch of stuff overlapping, you can easily see how your projection turned out without being confused by other UVs on that object.

When you mentions earlier about UVs randomly moving about, you may have had preserve UVs on, which will move things around if you are manipulating at the component level. Also delete history after projections, because sometimes this will garble your UVs when you transform you object.

See through mesh is a result of adding a colour map with an alpha channel, maya automatically assigns the alpha channel as transparency and then sorting will get confused. Right click and break the connection to fix this.

I downloaded your column, and after fixing a few things, this is the bake I got:
    h1nunyB.png
    The stuff I had to fix is explained a bit in the following image:
    CcSMZQB.png

Here is a link for a zip with a High, Low and Cage fbx file, that I used to get a bake from xNormal, the resulting normal map and a xnormal settings file is also in there (You''l need to change the paths though)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10105386/pc/columnBake.zip

Also, next time try importing the fbx you have exported to xNormal in a new Maya file, because when I imported your stuff, maya complained about malformed faces, and then tried to fix it, which totally fucked all of the normals, this is what xNormal would see, and that is also why you would get bad results.

In my map there are slight seams if you look very closely, but that is just because the tangent space of xNormal and Maya aren't synced, baking in maya pretty much results in a perfect bake.

The setup for this mesh calls for an exploded bake, with all the intersecting parts, but I'll let you figure that out.

To find ngons/messed up faces that xNormal doesn't like, do Mesh-Cleanup, and set it to select, and choose whatever your looking for, I did faces with more than 4 sides.

Lastly, try to keep the materials and scene in check, and delete history. There were over a dozen random materials, and when I tried to bake in maya, it threw an error and wouldn't show my envelope, likely because something material-wise was messed up.

I hope this wall of text helps.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow wrote: »
    Since the only type of selection you can modify UVs with is UV selection, I would suggest hitting ctrl+f12 after you make a face selection to convert to UVs so you can move around etc. Isolating the faces is useful if you do some sort of other projection and have a bunch of stuff overlapping, you can easily see how your projection turned out without being confused by other UVs on that object.

When you mentions earlier about UVs randomly moving about, you may have had preserve UVs on, which will move things around if you are manipulating at the component level. Also delete history after projections, because sometimes this will garble your UVs when you transform you object.

See through mesh is a result of adding a colour map with an alpha channel, maya automatically assigns the alpha channel as transparency and then sorting will get confused. Right click and break the connection to fix this.

I downloaded your column, and after fixing a few things, this is the bake I got:
    h1nunyB.png
    The stuff I had to fix is explained a bit in the following image:
    CcSMZQB.png

Here is a link for a zip with a High, Low and Cage fbx file, that I used to get a bake from xNormal, the resulting normal map and a xnormal settings file is also in there (You''l need to change the paths though)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10105386/pc/columnBake.zip

Also, next time try importing the fbx you have exported to xNormal in a new Maya file, because when I imported your stuff, maya complained about malformed faces, and then tried to fix it, which totally fucked all of the normals, this is what xNormal would see, and that is also why you would get bad results.

In my map there are slight seams if you look very closely, but that is just because the tangent space of xNormal and Maya aren't synced, baking in maya pretty much results in a perfect bake.

The setup for this mesh calls for an exploded bake, with all the intersecting parts, but I'll let you figure that out.

To find ngons/messed up faces that xNormal doesn't like, do Mesh-Cleanup, and set it to select, and choose whatever your looking for, I did faces with more than 4 sides.

Lastly, try to keep the materials and scene in check, and delete history. There were over a dozen random materials, and when I tried to bake in maya, it threw an error and wouldn't show my envelope, likely because something material-wise was messed up.

I hope this wall of text helps.

teach me how to be you.

holy freaking crap. Thank you man!

Im guessing the off center of the posts is due to the lack of a symmetry modifier. I really suck at this lol.
    I totally scrapped that project and started using the good and trustworthy 3ds max to finish it due to time constraints.

where do I "Break the connection" for the transparency channel?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    teach me how to be you.

holy freaking crap. Thank you man!

Im guessing the off center of the posts is due to the lack of a symmetry modifier. I really suck at this lol.
    I totally scrapped that project and started using the good and trustworthy 3ds max to finish it due to time constraints.

where do I "Break the connection" for the transparency channel?

No prob man, glad to help.

To break a connection, go to your material attributes and right click the text where it says Transparency (Or could be color, bump etc...) and there will among other things be an option to break the connection.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To tony: don't forget to actually have something to bake on a map, and not just 4 circles and a line

;)