Home Technical Talk

Mirrored UV seams problem.

Hi guys, i'm working on a weapon for Dota 2 and i'm having trouble with the mirrored normal map generating nasty seams on Marmoset. You can see them in the pictures i uploaded, problem areas being the seam in the handle and a seam when the mirrored side of the blade meets the back/body. I'm uploading my normal map as well.

The model was done in 3ds, high poly in Mudbox and bakes in Xnormal.

I've made quite a bit of research here and elsewhere but i can't seem to solve the problem. I offset the UV's to bake, set them back for the final model; i tried having a hard edge along the seams, i've checked the normals in the final model and they all point outwards; i also tried warvy's solution to seams but the problems seems to be elsewhere. I'm running out of ideas and any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Replies

• Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just had the exact same problem, and figured it out. Are u baking with an FBX or obj? If FBX try un-checking tangents and binormals. If your baking with an obj make sure that normal information is checked on. Another thing u might want to try is have the uvs of your duplicated and mirrored side offset by one in your uv editor before you bake.

Hope this helps!
  • Zidji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I've checked your thread and tried the suggestions there with no success. Baked both .FBX and .OBJ, both yield similar results. I also offset the UV's for baking and set them back on the final model.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try inverting the green channel
  • Zidji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy cow inverting the green channel worked! Thanks a lot EarthQuake, i can't believe i fixed it with something so simple after the amount of trial and error and bakes i did.

Thanks a lot again !

edit: If you don't mind me asking, why did this happen? I baked the normal with Y- set in xnormal, isn't that the way to do it with 3ds meshes? I'd like to understand the workings on this.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max and Marmoset Toolbag want oposite Y orintation, so if you need -Y for max you need +Y for Toolbag. There is an option in toolbag to flip it too.
  • Zidji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah i see, i'm fairly new to 3d and there are so many weird and seemingly arbitrary interactions between programs, and so many programs and apps, it gets kinda daunting at times.

Thanks for answering again, i appreciate it.