Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio - Environment Artist

Hey guys, I graduated school a little over a year ago and have spent my time since then applying to different studios and redoing most of my portfolio. Any feedback or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Site: www.danquinn3d.com

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Maybe your working on it now? I can't connect to it.
  • DQ89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya sorry about that, it was down for a bit should be fine now though.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I'm no environment artist so you can take my advice with a grain of salt...

In terms of the portfolio, I think its perfect really, You just need a little more content, one more really solid scene at least. Also, I think it would be nice if you put a brief description up for the environment. Like explain what the environment is for and some of the ideas you had and why you chose to do things the way you did.

The reason I say this is like with the Venice scene it looks overly clean to me. In a way its nice, but it also gives it too much of a cg vibe imo. Here is a specific example... The weathering on the walls is very very subtle. There is no large cracks or identifiable details there. Now I'm sure part of the reason you did this is for tiling, but I think you could stamp details in there some how to break things up. The edge of the water is another place. I see no watermarks meeting the waters edge, and you would most certainly have that.

In the shire, the lighting and grass and stuff turned out awesome. I love the feel of the whole scene! The only thing there is again some of the smaller details. Like the fence posts don't really have any detail at all, it looks like a basic texture slapped on there, and the dirt path could be broken up a lot more with details.

Anyway, this is all really picky stuff, just some things I noticed. Overall, I think your work is great though and would love to see more!
  • DQ89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Brad, I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your feedback. Good point regarding descriptions it would probably be a good idea to go through my thought process some more. The Venice scene is actually my oldest piece on there and I absolutely agree with everyone you said about it, I'm thinking I'll probably replace that with a smaller scene or building as my next project. Thanks again!
  • SalzBURN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Brad. You have a wonderful way of using textures especially in the objects (such as your Minecart and Piano) and I would love to see more of that aged aesthetic in your beautiful Venice scene. I'm not sure if "too clean" is the right phrase, but right now it just doesn't seem inhabited. Use those textures to make it feel more human! :) Great work though! I'm currently slogging my way through UDK from concepts.
  • DQ89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments Salzburn, ya I definitely agree that particularly texture-wise the Venice scene is lacking. I feel like I learned a lot from just focusing on doing individual props for my last couple of projects and I'm hoping to apply that to a small environment for my next one, just brainstorming what to do right now haha. Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing your work:)