Home General Discussion

A question on networking.

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
So I'm learning networking is how people get jobs working at game studios. At my school, I've been provided some sources of how to meet these people. Now what I need to know is how am I suppose to approach these people and what should I expect from the end result?

Do I just introduce myself formally and talk about talents, like say "Hey, my name is Jordan. I'm really passionate about making 3D models and drawing environments/storyboards". What kind of personal information do I need to provide (if any)? Do I make any business cards or provide him/her a link to a portfolio site?

I also remember watching a crunchcast episode on this and I can't remember the exact words but there was something about "always being there" for the studio? Like, you're not suppose to expect a job when you need one or just been laid off but you have to know the person for some time?

One more thing, does networking apply to everyone in the game industry? For example, say I somehow manage meet an environment artist who works for say Ubisoft on a bus, would that be enough to help me get closer to a job or do I have to meet someone specifically?

Replies

• Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    This is an awesome question, I'd love to hear what some of the vets think.

The extent of my networking reaches these forums, the Google Plus hangouts, and some random emails here and there. I've reached out to a couple of artists whom I respect in this way. Just for critiques and feedback. Trying really hard not to be that guy constantly pestering people for a job. The results have been generally positive, but I have my doubts that any of them would remember my name or notice my work in a stack of portfolios. But I suppose that't better than being a douche that no one wants to work with.

I think this kind of stuff could go both ways as well. Don't just reach out to those that you think are above you. I try to take time and critique beginners work and offer what advice I can. I've definitely been there myself (and to a very large extent still am in that position), and you never know who will vouch for you in the future.

I guess the approach I've be trying to take is not so much, "Hey, I'm Brandon, can you get me a job?" and more along the lines of trying to find some common ground, and engaging in meaningful dialog as one artist to another.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got some random dude on CGhub that sends me a contact request every few months, he seems to be sending them to everyone on cghub. Just spamming them out. His work is mediocre and I don't know him. I'm not sure how this strategy is working for him but I won't be recommending him for anything...

In my opinion useful contacts are usually built on mutual respect, friendship, and/or work relationships.

If you don't have any of those things going for you then you're not in a much better position than anyone sending in an application. I really don't see anyone recommending you just because you gave them a business card and told them you were "really passionate about 3d"

Be sociable, make friends, and don't treat people like they're a staircase to a job opening... that'd be my advice.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Yikes, now I'm not sure if networking is ever going to be for me. I don't want to make anyone a staircase but at the same time, not having a job is really bad for me.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Don't contact people with only the intention of gaining something from them.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    LRoy wrote: »

Absolutely true. Find common interests with people (should be easy on PC) offer good feedback, don't start fights, and just generally work hard, people will notice. Probably a lot more effective than just mass e-mailing people, I think most would be able to tell you're just fishing for work anyways. Just my two cents, I've met some really awesome people through PC, and I've made a conscious effort not to expect a job/leg up in return, I just enjoy meeting people in the industry, and learning new things, plus it's cool to talk to people you've looked up to/aspired to be like.

So just let conversations/connections happen organically, don't force it. I know it's easy to say don't force it, and you may feel desperate to make a connection, but I think you'd be better served trying to make real tangible connections, other than treating people like a stepping stone. I'm not saying you're doing that now, but it would be easy to see it that way from the other side of the table.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a pretty awesome question.

First of all:
    LRoy wrote: »

Truth. I think just going up to people and trying to be contacts with them just to network is worthless. Its just not the right attitude to have.

It is quite difficult to network with people starting out...but the best things you can do are just to be involved. Even posting here on polycount or joining in the hangouts can get you meeting other people...and if you hit it off with them...then you have some contacts, right?

Another thing to keep in mind is that, just because somebody isn't in the industry right now, doesn't mean they wont be later. I've had a few friends from school, and other people that I've just met through here and such, and they have gone on to get jobs at studios...so sometimes it can work that way too.

Bottom line is, you shouldn't look at it as "I need to meet industry people so I can get a job," it should be "I love the work that I do and I want to hang out with and learn from other like minded people." Just changing your mentality alone will make it easier.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Beer is the answer.
    I've met a lot of cool people and have done some serious business over a beer or lunch. The key, is to develop a genuine relationship first and worry about business second. A contact or acquaintance is more valuable than what you might be able to gain from a single interaction.
    TL;DR
    Don't be out to gain something from everyone you meet.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Make friends with people
    be a good friend
    Reap benefits of being a good person
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Come to eurogamer expo in two weeks, get drunk with polycounters.

Sorry I'm not sure about the networking bit but I think this is good advice for anyone.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    fearian wrote: »
    Come to eurogamer expo in two weeks, get drunk with polycounters.

Sorry I'm not sure about the networking bit but I think this is good advice for anyone.

hahaha yeah...

just come along to a polycount meetup, talk to people, don't necessarily talk about work.

essentially, view networking as making friends. you'd be surprised how much work, or potential work you can get just by being a nice guy around the right people.