Home General Discussion

Blitz Games Studios Goes into Liquidation

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Blitz Games Studios Goes into Liquidation, :( this is a Bitter Blow for UK Games Industry. At least one new games company will be established in the aftermath of Blitz’s liquidation and i hope there are some more.
http://www.blitzgamesstudios.com/

TIGA, the trade association for developers and digital publishers, said today that the news that Blitz was entering administration was a bitter blow for the games industry in Leamington Spa and for the UK. TIGA urged the Government to help foster start-ups in Leamington Spa and work with the European Commission to accelerate the introduction of Games Tax Relief.

Dr Richard Wilson, TIGA CEO, said:

"The liquidation of Blitz Studios is a bitter blow for the games industry in Leamington Spa and for the UK generally. Blitz is an iconic British games studio. Philip and Andrew Oliver, the CEO and CTO respectively at Blitz, have made an enormous contribution to the UK video games industry, having been involved in the sector since its beginnings in the 1980s.

"TIGA salutes Blitz's achievements and we hope that everyone at Blitz will be successful in finding new work as quickly as possible. TIGA will endeavour to support any new start-ups that emerge from the closure of Blitz. At the same time, it is vital that the Government takes steps to support the growth of new studios by the provision of business incubators and by working with the EU Commission to introduce Games Tax Relief as speedily as possible.

Games Tax Relief will reduce the cost of games development and improve access to finance, as well as supporting the development of culturally British video games."

About TIGA:

Notes to editors:
About TIGA

TIGA is the trade association representing the video games industry. The majority of our members are either independent games developers or in-house publisher owned developers. We also have games publishers, outsourcing companies, technology businesses and universities amongst our membership. Since 2010, TIGA has won 16 business awards.

TIGA focuses on three sets of activities: political representation, profile raising and developing services that enhance the competitiveness of our members. This means that TIGA members are effectively represented in the corridors of power, their voice is heard in the media and they receive benefits that make a material difference to their businesses, including a reduction in costs and improved commercial opportunities.

Really sorry to hear this guys! I wish you all the best.

Replies

• littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    It says on there website "However, two of the developer's current projects are self-sustaining financially so Blitz senior management will be forming a new company to service these clients and safeguard approximately 50 of the 175 jobs being lost today. More details on this new company will be released shortly."

So there is some good news :thumbup: best of luck with this!
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Dammmmn, sad news like this sends shivers down my spine! I wish everyone involved the best of luck with trying to find new jobs.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, this is a huge blow for the UK games industry. Blitz have always been one of those companies that have just been around for donkeys years in the UK, so it's kinda worrying to see such a stable part of our industry go under like this.

Makes me wonder what's gonna happen to the other UK developers.. Rocksteady, Splash Damage etc. I can see this happening to Splash actually.. They haven't released anything in a while afaik. Hopefully not though!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    PogoP wrote: »
    Yeah, this is a huge blow for the UK games industry. Blitz have always been one of those companies that have just been around for donkeys years in the UK, so it's kinda worrying to see such a stable part of our industry go under like this.

Makes me wonder what's gonna happen to the other UK developers.. Rocksteady, Splash Damage etc. I can see this happening to Splash actually.. They haven't released anything in a while afaik. Hopefully not though!

'tis a shame! :(

As for Rocksteady they're solid... and steady as a rock. I seriously doubt they'll go anywhere and having worked for them I really hope they don't. Those lads have everything sorted out and it's hard to find a more stable place to work at in the UK I'd say.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17

All part of the THQ fallout; too many years doing poorly recieved licensed games :/
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, i worked at blitz games studios(only been here 2 and a half months and its my first job), would like to say to whoever else form the company who works at the studio and frequents polycount, thank you for everything, theres alot of great people out of a job, the oliver twins are great people and im sad that their baby has went under. There are 2 projects that are self sustaining and smaller studios will be formed for them or have been bought out by other studios, cant remember which but while i cant say who/what they are but to the companies who are sustaining them, thank you for making sure some of the great people still have jobs. I hope everyone here lands on their feet. Its a sad day for the industry and the British games scene.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Gutted for Blitz! Went there for an open day and those guys seemed so fantastic and friendly. I guess Blitz just held that middle market for a long time and it kinda dropped out. They had been doing some port stuff and iOS but obviously things got too difficult... real shame!

Best of luck to everyone.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Splash Damage etc. I can see this happening to Splash actually.. They haven't released anything in a while afaik. Hopefully not though!

Extraction http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111059&highlight=dirty+bomb

and the multiplayer for Batman Arkham Origins out in October....splash are still about :)

Losing Blitz is terrible news, I hope that as many people as possible land on their feet as soon as possible.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    One of the new studios is 'Game Lab Social'.

Social is a dirty word.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    /\ - Game Lab Social was founded in September 2013 by Ollie Clarke and Steve Stopps. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/200097/Game_Lab_Social_opens_in_Leamington_Spa.php

Blitz co-founder Philip Oliver's first interview since the demise of one of the UK's longest-running developers.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-12-there-have-been-a-lot-of-men-crying-including-me

Philip Oliver in a phone call the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24066065

"Philip Oliver was keen to stress, this news should not be seen as a sign that the whole British games industry is in trouble - he cited the success of Moshi Monsters and the recent stock market listing of Cambridge-based Frontier as evidence that the UK can still cut it.

Indeed, a recent survey showed employment in the industry was up last year after three years of decline.

But to survive and thrive you may need to be smaller and more focused - and to adapt to changing trends faster than Blitz could manage."

Also the 'Freemium' business model has some huge heavy weights like Zynga and SGN

The BBC article also said

"The government has said it plans to implement UK tax breaks, but it has been delayed by European Union regulators."

I can not see the logic in the EU some times? SIGH!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Hurray....redundant..........again.

Cheers all. Guess I've got some more time to work on my portfolio.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    I knew a bunch of Blitz employees. Sad news indeed :(

Hope everyone manages to find a job okay.
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Blitz had some fantastic support for students trying to break into the industry; I remember the open day and what a positive experience it was.
    I'm sad to hear this news - best of luck to all those looking for work!
  • rooster