Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

It's a Thread - The real Admiral Ackbar

I started studying Games Art and Animation about 1 year ago, 3 months ago i began concentrating on Zbrush. Did some small Zbrush stuff before, like a few detail passes on a weapon.
Then i found this "Concept" of Ackbar. http://theory-of-everything.deviantart.com/art/Admiral-Akbar-s-Rhum-72309171
YDyudnn.jpg

My goal is to get into character art so i started making this character.
Hope you like it and i hope to get some feedback since i might want to add this to my portfolio... By the way, the pipe is based on the Iraq Lobster from Family Guy ;D

Here are some screens of the sculpt:

Replies

• timgrossmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nearly forgot the polypaint...
  • Swagosaur_McSwag
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    looking good!

I would slow down a bit and concentrate on controlling the forms of your model before polypainting. Right now, it simply looks conceptual/sketchy, at this stage I would go back in and clean everything up.

Also, be careful when using the move brush at high sub-levels.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Looks neat. Cute idea.

Boot buckles look awesome.

Few crits: How does he get his coat on? The arm holes at the shoulders are smaller than his forearms. :)
    The tails of the coat right now are a separate piece. looks like a cape stuffed into his belt rather than a single garment that is a long coat.

The cloth as a whole is reading really oddly. Its difficult to tell what material you're thinking it all should be. The coat in particular... The material reads as leather or oilcloth, the spiral folds in the arms look more like canvas or leather, while the wrinkling in the body is more like medium cotton, though traditional naval officer greatcoats like that are wool, but seeing as this is Akbar.. you can put him in what fabric you want.. just be sure to make it read clearly. ;)
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
  • timgrossmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies....

@Swagosaur_McSwag: Thank you ;D

@Leinad: Thank you, i will go back and do some more overall polish after i changed some key things

@Vailias: Thank you very much, i already learned to not stay to the concept too close but i'll try to widen the fabric around his arm ;D....

Also, I didn't look colse enough to recognize that the cape and the coat were meant to be one piece :/ (i thought it's just stuffed in)

Thought the Coat is made of leather (should do some more research before starting next time)
    I'll try to unify the look of the cloth pieces... Even though it should be wool i think i'll stay with leather but so many thanks for your reply it really helped me with a lot of things here

@TrevorJ: Nice references thanks

I hope i am able to upload some improved work soon ;D
  • timgrossmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little Update on the coat...
    Just wanted to know if i am heading in the right direction or if it doesn't look like leather at all ^^
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tails of the coat should be split. You can see it a bit in the original concept, or in images of late eighteenth/early nineteenth century naval uniforms:
    tumblr_mlxavxQceQ1s77baxo2_1280.jpg
    Also, the epaulettes should be cloth-covered, with gold (or at least gilt) buttons.
    tumblr_mlxavxQceQ1s77baxo3_1280.jpg
  • timgrossmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DWalker: Thanks, i'll change those things soon...

Also i will post an update tomorrow or so hope there are still some guys having an eye on this thread ;D
  • timgrossmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there,

did some more tweaks on the coat, i hope it doesn't look worse than before....

Cut the cape in half....

Tried to "ground" the tails of the coat a bit more

Thanks for all the feedback!

Guess i'll start making a low poly version now, since i want to get this project finished until october ;D
  • timgrossmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So......
    I've been doing some "low" poly of this character and thought i should do a little update here to hear your opinion about the result i got ^^

Hope you like it

The "low" poly has 7466 tris

Wireframe:

With normal and AO:

And the maps:

Thanks for taking a look ;D
  • timgrossmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there,

so... This is probably the last post for this project and i hope you like the result!
    Thanks for the feedback. Hope you'll have a look at my future projects

Even though i think i won't do any changes feel free to critique everything you have in mind. It will defenetly help me with my further projects.

The "final" shots:

Straight out of Marmoset:

Screen of the posed High-Poly in Keyshot:
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    not really a crit on your work, but would be intersting to see how bad ackbar would fail in trying to use his saber, he dosnt have forward facing eyes like a predator so prolly has shit depth perception.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, I am late for it, but a few advices for your next projects:

1-Sculpt stage: Start with a very lower subdivisions in zbrush, and once the overall form is good, go to the next and polish again. This avoid you going to details to early. Also if you want to do some big change go back to a lower subdivision level .(some people work direct in a high division level though)
    E.g. The head details should have clean lines and your folds looks like you made it in hurry

2-Texturing: Everything looks new like he just left the store, even the character. Remember to add personality and history: Skin variation, scratches, color variation, scars, decals, etc.
    Show where he has been, how old is him...

3-Polycount: 7K is not a high number for the current games, but those polygons could be better used to add silhouette. There are some areas with a lot less density than others. The folds could be better defined with those polygons. "Beginners Rule": Head and joints might receive more density and focus on forms. A plain area like his back might receive less.

One character like this takes a good time to be made, more if you are at the start. So take your time and try to push your skills. :\

Take your time and check the polycount wiki:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryCharacter

You have asked for advices and I hope those general thoughts helps :)
  • timgrossmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @passerby:
    I'm pretty sure he would look stupid ;D

@fabio brasilien:
    Wow! Thank you for your advices they are damn good... BTW I love your work, especially the sculpts ^^

Just read about using a flat material to look at the form, I'll definitely try that next time!

Can't thank you enough, I hope this will improve my further work a lot ;)