Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Jared Jones, Concept Artist

http://kristophart.blogspot.com/

My name is Jared Jones, I am an aspiring concept artist and am extremely eager to get my foot in the industry. I finished school in May and released my portfolio soon after. The job search has been a struggle and I am still looking for work. So, if anyone has any advice on how I can better my chances at getting my portfolio seen I am all ears. I appreciate any and all help anyone has to offer.

Thank you

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    geez Jared, I think your work looks beautiful. However, I dont know the standard for junior concept artists. So my advice, just keep working hard, and see if there are any IGDA meetups or something you can attend to meet some folks in the industry in your area, networking is important. Best of luck to you.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, just saw your Raam on reddit, looks really cool :)

The first thing I notice is that your name is Jared Jones but the URL is kristophart.blogspot.com ? Might cause confusion. The portfolio layout is nice and simple which makes it easy to find everything.

Out of curiosity, what were the Dota 2 Environment concepts for, really dig those!
  • Jarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coots7 wrote: »
    geez Jared, I think your work looks beautiful. However, I dont know the standard for junior concept artists. So my advice, just keep working hard, and see if there are any IGDA meetups or something you can attend to meet some folks in the industry in your area, networking is important. Best of luck to you.

I was just talking to Anthony Jones about what I could do, luckily I was able to get him as a contact thanks to him teaching for one semester at my school, and he recommended the exact same thing.
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Hey, just saw your Raam on reddit, looks really cool :)

The first thing I notice is that your name is Jared Jones but the URL is kristophart.blogspot.com ? Might cause confusion. The portfolio layout is nice and simple which makes it easy to find everything.

Out of curiosity, what were the Dota 2 Environment concepts for, really dig those!

Those were some pieces done in between going to school and playing quite a lot of dota 2. I am actually going to be attempting to make some items for dota in the next couple of weeks.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Good work, I would consider rearranging things slightly and pushing the Prometheus stuff a bit lower and the fourth and sixth pieces higher.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Good stuff. Work looks solid, and i really dig the site. Can just drop in on the first image and scroll the rest. Really like that functionality.

If i knew anything about concept art, Or making a beast portfolio, i might critique. But as of now: looks good. Good luck on the job search.

Edit: just check through the other tabs. SWERT! Really cool sketches and what not. Really dig your integration of zbrush into concepting. Shows the feasibility of an idea in a 3d space, Which is important for a concept artist to understand, To keep 2d "magic" to a minimum :) Makes for a happy team all around.
  • Logithx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logithx polycounter lvl 5
    You got some nice pieces there. Move the environments up higher though, let your best work shine. Saved the 7th/8th pic for inspiration :)