Home Technical Talk

Under used Modifiers/Tools

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
JackyBoy polycounter lvl 10
I couldn't find a similar thread so thought I would ask people what they thought was an under used modifier or feature (or an existing oe used in an unusal way) in 3Ds Max.

One I stumbled upon was the similar button. You can select a set of faces then click the button and it selects all similar on a mesh. Very handy when modelling things with radial symmetry on like alloy wheels.

Another I recently found out about was the UVW Xform modifer, usefuk for squashing UVs into a 0-0.5 range. For example I wanted 2 horizontal tiling textures on the same texture sheet. So I could map the UVs to the 0-1 thn squash one set to the 0-0.5 and the other to 0.5-1.

Anybody else have any features they think not many people might know about?

Replies

• Pathologist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pathologist polycounter lvl 4
    The UVW Xform modifier is ideal for tiling textures along a spline object, for example a sidewalk.

The CTRL+Q hotkey is also underused, it selects meshes a like the ones you have selected, still figuring out how exactly it finds the other meshes.

The Turn to Poly modifier with a limit polygon size of 4 is also underused, though it's for a quick and dirty result, especially useful when converting revit models, any pipe like model always collapses on me when I export them as they are. Using this modifier they don't.
  • JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry, that's a perfect reply! I found these ones out by tinkering and figuring stuff out and a couple of friends at work didn't know about them so thought others might not too :)

I don't know all the ins and outs of Max yet, but just thought I would pick out a couple that I liked. But you are right, I don't want it to turn into a list all modifiers thread.

Thanks for the link, will have a look through to see if there is anything I can learn.
  • JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the response! I could see where you were coming from, so I understood. But this is a great idea and will really help me learn a lot more.

I really appreciate you taking the time to write out a detailed response, thank you.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Before you think I'm being too harsh; How would you feel about a pilot who has no idea what half the buttons in his cockpit do or a guitarist who only knows Major chords? I don't think you would be able to respect them as professionals.

I wouldn't say you're being harsh, but you are comparing skillsets that are completely alien to a 3D artist. Piloting an airplane requires knowing your aircraft's capabilities, extensive flight training, among many other requirements including licensing. Being a 3D artist isn't a particularly difficult profession compared to most work out there, and there's so many good amateur modelers who simply learn in their spare time. Modeling software doesn't require you to do everything by the "book" because there is no book. You're not going to die if you don't model a box with the box creation tool - you could just make a plane and extrude edges and cap the hole and no one would know the difference.

Semantics aside, I love your menu layout. I may look into adapting your menu choices and see if it helps improve my workflow. Thanks for sharing. ;)
  • WarrenM
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    perna wrote: »
    I'm going to have to be harsh again.

By all means! :)
    Lazy bums who think 3D art is not a "real job" and that they don't have to work their ass off to succeed.

I know how this story tends to go. In school people liked your drawings, and you enjoyed playing games, and you didn't like to work hard, so you figured you'd become a game artist, because that's not "real work", right?

That's right up "zero ambition" alley, isn't it? "Being a 3D artist isn't a particularly difficult profession compared to most work out there" How do you respect yourself with an attitude like that?

I know you're probably not directing your comments solely at me because this is admittedly a pet peeve of yours, so I'll avoid taking it personal - but I will toss in a few more remarks. I decided on my career path because I enjoy creating worlds and felt that I had a future in it. I didn't do it because I enjoy playing video games - because I don't, generally. I grew out of that long ago.

I'm simply acknowledging the reality of what I do for a living and how I perceive it. I don't find this work to be terribly difficult at all. I enjoy it, so it doesn't feel like work to me. My days pass by quickly and I find myself at home again without feeling like I'm counting the minutes until I can leave the office. I've done what I consider to be "hard" jobs. I've pushed shopping carts in 95 degree temperatures wearing long pants and polo shirts. I've dug ditches and cleaned bowling alleys. I've done food preparation and dealt with raging customers who hate you because you're the face behind the counter selling them a cell phone. Modeling isn't something I consider hard. It's a passion, something I enjoy. I strive to be better at it and continually find ways to improve my work because I love what I do.
    3D art is an extremely technical job. Sure, it's NOT if you only stick with the most basic out-dated workflows and noodle around like a fool until you've built your sub-standard mesh several days beyond the deadline. I keep having people, even industry veterans, tell me "oh wow! How did you do that?" when the answer has been in the 3ds Max help file the last six years. They just can't be bothered to read that, though, studying is for school, no?

I didn't say it wasn't technical. ;-) I said I didn't find it hard. In my experience, "technical" and "hard" don't often go hand in hand. I do agree with you, though. I've met those kinds of people in college and my words always fell on deaf ears. I gave up trying to help them improve and focused on my own work instead. I don't create the best work - but I do try to improve whenever I can.
    Not many years ago, you could get a 3D art job if all you knew were the basics of Photoshop and 3d Studio. The people who are still in that mindset are now losing their jobs to outsourcing and to younger, more hard-working artists, and it's just going to get more competitive.

Right, I don't disagree whatsoever.
    For every lazy bum who noodles skin pores in z-brush all day, there's another person who takes his craft seriously and works as intensely at it as any university student. The kind of person who sits up all night practicing, stays up to date on the latest technological advancements, read all recent and historical SIGGRAPH papers, studies CAD and vector editing just to get out of the box, practices scripting and learns about 3rd party customizations, compares apps, frequents forums like this one to glean info and keep abreast of developments, writes designs for dream tools, studies the internal development structure at 3D software devs and their roadmaps, makes analytical comparisons of tools, benchmarks, customizes every bit of ui and shortcuts, and works and works and works terribly hard to stand out and then becomes a valuable asset at a triple-A gamedev company.

And that's great - I applaud anyone who can dedicate that kind of time to improving themselves. I do what I can with the limited amount of time in my day between my career and raising two children with my wife.
    The attitude you display is not only detrimental to your own success, but is also offensive towards all the 3D artists who work their asses off to become awesome at what they do.

I suggest that if you want to get anywhere, you better start taking your profession more seriously. And don't go on a 3D art forum and diss everyone here who may have sacrificed a good chunk of their lives learning what they know.

You shouldn't assume that my post was meant to antagonize you. If we're going to be harsh to one another, may I suggest that you not run with a statement and take it the most negative way possible in the future? If we're giving out advice to one another, based upon your own attitude I'd rather work with someone who needs to learn more about their craft than someone who talks down to you. Skill only goes so far if people hate working with you, and I guarantee that any employer will find someone who they can work with and train over someone who gives them a hard time.

No hard feelings. Thanks for the discussion! :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ANYWAY...

In max 2014 hit x to call up a search, type in the first few letters of what you're looking for and then hit the command.

Max%20Search.jpg

This really helps to clear out the UI of all those little buttons and things that you need often enough to leave laying around but use them infrequently enough that calling it up this way won't slow you down. This is quickly becoming how I apply modifiers and call up my own scripts. You'll notice "Biped Keyer v1.3" isn't actually part of max, its a script that I have, but it shows up in the list, fuckin awesome.

I can't wait for the day when you can tear a command out of the search box and drag it into the UI and dock it, to create a button or a menu, you can already kind of do that with the Ribbon. Maybe someday they will get all of their ducks in a row... someday...
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It's not exactly a surprise that you're not positive towards me after I ripped you apart like that. You deserved the ripping. Coming here telling everybody that their jobs are easy, and then acting surprised that someone calls you on it: What kind of arrogance is that?

I'm still working hard. So I must be mentally challenged or something, because apparently this job isn't hard, according to you.

I'm relatively new here and I don't know you beyond this thread, so I can't say that I'm either positive or negative toward you specifically. I'm just responding to what you've given me. You disagreed with me and did it in a way that I'd consider to be less than friendly but not hostile. I'm doing my best not to let it color my perception of you, as I imagine I'll see you around here frequently and I'm not fond of making enemies out of great artists. I think we all have pet peeves and the way we express that doesn't always come off the way we intend it... So I apologize that we're getting off to the wrong foot here. Speaking of feet, it seems I've opened my mouth and inserted the entire shoe store. :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    perna wrote: »
    Select Similar and UVW XForm are in no way tricks or hidden away. They do exactly what it says on the tin, so not being aware of them just means you haven't been sufficiently serious about the software to qualify as a professional.

Saying someone needs to know everything about a tool to be a professional is absurd. Even if someone were to go over the manual from start to finish, unless they found a normal use for all the things they learned or had unbelievable cognitive recall eventually most of it would be forgotten.

Professional != Guru/Master/know-it-all
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's advocating knowing OF them, not being a master of them. And I agree. You should have a solid grasp of all the things your tool of choice can do without necessarily being a master guru at all of them.

For example, if you find yourself searching for a script to do something and you come across information that tells you that Max already does it ... you need to learn more about Max.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm a personal fan of wikis, F1, bundled documentation, and any program that goes above and beyond by implementing quick-help features right into the program. Regardless, I don't see a problem with a thread like this even when they do wind up consisting of people sharing things that more experienced artists may already know about. I believe that a professional attitude is about having an ongoing and passionate pursuit of knowledge, and not about a particular method used to obtain it. Different people have different learning styles regardless of how passionate they might be about a subject. Some people have it in them to go through a book or a comprehensive document and get what they need to out of it, others benefit more from observing, or through a conversation they can engage in. The important thing is that they're trying to learn more and clicking on threads like this in the chance that it might just help. There are different sources of knowledge and they should all be explored. That's why we have schools, and communities like this exist.

Professionals should have extensive knowledge of their tools and trade, and many here clearly do. That's why people who want to become professionals come here to seek that knowledge. I think they should be warmly welcomed.