Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Roguette

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Todd_Marsh polycounter lvl 7
Hey Guys,

this is my first post !I'm a student at Gnomon,i met a bunch of you at the meetup last week and was convinced to finally post what's taking up my time. I'm actually working on a few things right now but this is probably what im enjoying the most.

the concept was done by http://waterlon.cghub.com

eRSvEYp.jpg

This is the hi-res of the game character. I used Maya and zbrush.

Most recent,

CtzFDCM.jpg

Replies

• Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n9PqSgy.jpg

4lQgA1g.jpg
    looking for crits on edge flow !
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I think it looks really solid. The face looks a tad soft but I'm not really passing judgement on that because a lot can be done with the texture.
    Looking forward to see more progress!
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dropkick287 polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking really good man. I can not wait to see this textured. The proportions are spot on and makes for a great silhouette. Can I ask how your workflow went with Maya and how it went with Zbrush? Did you start it in Maya, blocked it out, then moved to Zbrush for detail work? Overall comparing it from the reference, you have really great direction. Nice work.
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks mate ! i start with zbrush and quickly make a humanoid shape with a 3d polysphere and some dynamesh. when im happy with the general proportions ill zremesh (retopbrush+Qremesh for stubborn parts) for decent edgeflow for sculpting. i get the proportions with spotlight and overlay the concept. after i was fairly happy with her anatomy i decemated her, chucked her in maya, built the hardsurface stuff and used nex tools(maya 2014s 'modeling toolkit') to retopo and build the clothes, chucked those back into zbrush to sculpt the cloth and armour details. then i just just retop everything that didnt already have a low res version in nex the same way. then spend the next few days baking/cleaning normal/AO maps, hope that helps ! :P
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks dimfist, i definately agree, the face is lacking in anatomy and overall appeal. i will probably do some tweaking on it :P
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Looking nice! I agree that the face needs more work. It looks like her jaw is pulled to far back. Would be good to see a close up of the face.
  • Bravo81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bravo81 polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Todd_Marsh,

Would you be interested in helping us out with The Contract? A game being developed on the Source Engine. Would be a matter or royalties/compensation upon release.

www.thecontractgame.co.uk
    www.moddb.com/games/the-contract

contact@thecontractgame.co.uk
    We currently have 23 Devs, but our character modeller left due to issues in Egypt; his home country.

Kind Regards,
    Dean.
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry bravo, i dont have any free time at the moment !
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    It’s hard to judge from the angle you presented but the face does differ from the concept in a number of ways. Mainly that the face is too long or narrow compared to the roundness of the concept. You could also bring the jaw forward a bit to remove that strong curved line of the face and while we are talking about that area, I would probably widen the lips.

As for the body you've done an excellent job. Just a few adjustments to the face and it will be stellar!
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2PkifOG.jpg

KhdrFcS.jpg

progress! still not completely happy with the face but its getting there,i havnt really started the hair cards which i think is effecting the look and shape of the head.
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WVT7QzQ.jpg
    dtLASSK.jpg

i spent a few months doing other projects and learning some nice baking techniques so i came back and attacked this one from the baking stage onward. still not done but getting pretty close now. any crits welcome !!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I think closer attention needs to be paid to her overall proportions, this is something you can still fix btw. the concept is overall much more slender, particularly the torso and forearms. the face has a curious (and nice) mix of east and western going on... western styling on the details like the eyes, nose, and mouth, but proportionally it's shaped very much in an eastern (anime) style.
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gQs8hpN.jpg
    hmm, i think you are right. i tweaked some proportions, thinned her out a bit and tweaked the face a little to get it closer to concept. is this what you had in mind ?
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im thinking her lashes are a little dark now hehe
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xkXDAgC.jpg

finally posed, fixed up some proportions as per girs suggestion. a bunch of final touch ups also. i feel like the hair cards need a little more love and then its down to presentation. honestly im counting the sleeps till marmoset 2... :) all crits welcome !!!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Nice ! Maybe the metal parts could have more spec, theyr don't seem really metallic. And the wrists are broken...

Are we seeing the uv seam on the back of the leg ?
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha yeh, thats a seam from the gloss map i think, ill fix it tomorrow. same with the wrists, the wrist guards need to shrunk a little to fit properly i think and i agree the metal should have a lot more spec, im still trying to get the spec values right for marmoset but im sure the metal will look a lot nicer in marmoset 2 :P
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Overall this is coming along nicely, but I think that your skirt is too flared out compared to the concept. it's a bit too gravity defying atm. I would also lengthen the skirt just a tad. the panty shot is breaking the design right now I think.
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh fair enough, i can def do that. it feels a bit uniform all the way around too now that i think about it. ill lengthen it and add weight to it, thanks !
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eSy16Yh.jpg

fixed the spec, lengthened the skirt a little fixed some interpenetration, when i get home ill do another knald AO bake to adjust for the new poses AO.
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CtzFDCM.jpg

so this is pretty much done now. ill probably repost it when i stick it in marmoset 2 but until then i need to start my new project which is this guy
    http://cghub.com/images/view/588881/

thanks for crits pps !