Home General Discussion

Prop art

I know this varies by the development studio, but generally, do most companies have dedicated prop/object guys? Do they normally also do the 2d art of the objects?

Any other insight into this type of position would be appreciated. I imagine it has less new competition than say, character art. That is, less learning artists are aiming for it than character art.

Furthermore, can I have some examples of good portfolios for this?

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    usually studios would want a environment artist not a prop artist since they can out source individual props.

envirmenat artist pretty much does it all, props, textures, level design, lighting.
  • Karmageddon
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Not every studio wants to deal with outsourcing though as the results can sometimes be messy. My first industry gig was a prop modeling position, but I don't hear about these so much anymore. Normally "environment modeler" is more favorable, like passerby said, they're wanting to see you do a level from start to finish.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Varies from studio to studio. Some places have only prop guys. At least for us here, our prop guys are more junior or less experienced env artists who dont have a lot of experience building scenes in shipped games. Doesnt mean they wont down the road though.