Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Acid Rifle

I created this concept and now I'm going to create high and low poly models.
At first I wanted it to be some kind of steampunk gun, but it ended up in some different setting.

acid_rifle_by_oxeren-d6kuy14.jpg

Replies

• Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    I think that you are going to find that the double barrel design is going to make the weapon really fat and weird looking.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice concept!
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    That is one sick concept :0 I'm looking forward to seeing this.
  • VESIUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That drill looks rather uncomfortable.
  • Oxeren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 wrote: »
    I think that you are going to find that the double barrel design is going to make the weapon really fat and weird looking.

Yes, I thought about it, but I started modelling and so far it looks ok.
    VESIUS wrote: »
    That drill looks rather uncomfortable.

You mean uncomfortable to use?
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Concept looks siiiiick :D Very Borderlands!

Looking forward to the model!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    nice concept, but the drill doesn't make sense to me. is it like a crazy bayonet? or is it for making glory holes. =P Can't wait to see the finished product.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Acid rifle directions for use:
    1.) is it a soft target?
    yes -> Spray with acid.
    no -> Drill hole to soft bits of target, then spray with acid via hole.
  • BigK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigK polycounter lvl 4
    That concept looks awesome, but I have a few questions.

What kind of being will be using this? Right now a human would have nowhere to put their thumb to wrap around the handle. With the handle built so much into the stock you would not be able to wrap your hand around to the other side of the gun.

Also because of the extended length of the gun you would not be able to hold it with one hand (unless the humans are GoW or Warhammer 40k size) right now there is no where to put your other hand.

Lastly, the hose that runs from the pump to the drill seems like it might get in the way of reloading depending on the angle. Wouldnt want to get caught up on a hose in a firefight.
  • VESIUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I meant uncomfortable to walk into... haha
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Wicked! Like others mentioned, I did the BL-ish feel to it. looking forward to the progression here.
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice!I like the design of its steampunk feeling,and the drill is awesome!
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    HA! I was browsing through the new deviant art pieces and saw yours uploaded after 10 minutes or so :) Sick concept. I was actually going to make that except the ergonomics kind of bugged me. Hand placement looks uncomfortable.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    One thing that I noticed was there's no forward grip of any kind - nowhere to rest the barrel into your off hand.

Maybe put some kind of underbarrel grip covering part of the cable that leads to the drill?
  • Oxeren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo wrote: »
    Concept looks siiiiick :D Very Borderlands!

Looking forward to the model!

Thanks!) Yeah, everybody says it reminds of Borderlands, I guess I should play it)
    Dimfist wrote: »
    nice concept, but the drill doesn't make sense to me. is it like a crazy bayonet? or is it for making glory holes. =P Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks! Well, this is not supposed to be very realistic) It's for drilling holes in ice in case you decide go ice fishing)
    Vailias wrote: »
    Acid rifle directions for use:
    1.) is it a soft target?
    yes -> Spray with acid.
    no -> Drill hole to soft bits of target, then spray with acid via hole.

It doesn't spray acid, it shoots acid projectiles which break on contact with target. It's double barrel so you can combine different types of acid to cause more damage.

Since projectiles are somewhat fragile, and would break upon shot, rifle uses different from common firearms system, and launches projectiles with pressure. That's what hoses and tank in the middle are for.
    BigK wrote: »
    That concept looks awesome, but I have a few questions.

What kind of being will be using this? Right now a human would have nowhere to put their thumb to wrap around the handle. With the handle built so much into the stock you would not be able to wrap your hand around to the other side of the gun.

Also because of the extended length of the gun you would not be able to hold it with one hand (unless the humans are GoW or Warhammer 40k size) right now there is no where to put your other hand.

Lastly, the hose that runs from the pump to the drill seems like it might get in the way of reloading depending on the angle. Wouldnt want to get caught up on a hose in a firefight.

Thanks!
    In the beginnig I wanted to keep balance between functionality and appearance, but, as always, ended up thinking mostly about the second. In my defence I can only say that it's not supposed to be very realistic :D
    Valandar wrote: »
    One thing that I noticed was there's no forward grip of any kind - nowhere to rest the barrel into your off hand.

Maybe put some kind of underbarrel grip covering part of the cable that leads to the drill?

I supposed that place for hand is between clip and that tank with hoses, but I guess it's not apparent enough, so I'll think about it.
  • Oxeren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally, here's the highpoly model.
    So I wanted to experience some frustration and suffering, so I went with tools, completely different from ones I usually use. I did modeling in Maya, and rendered image (though there's not much about rendering) with Mental Ray. Previously I worked with 3ds Max and V-Ray and had just a little bit of experiance with Maya like 8 years ago. So, especially at first, it was quite hard task, it took a lot of time to get used to navigation/interface/etc.
    There's a lot of floating geometry, so some detail doesn't look very good in highpoly render.

acid_rifle_highpoly_by_oxeren-d6nt2sc.jpg